What Material Transfers Sound The Least?

dh7892-- that sounds about right. I'll retract the word "amplify", which was just kind of thrown into my post without thinking of the actual science. I agree with what you wrote.

probus-- absolutely agree that the main construction should be something dense. But you'll need some sort of spacer between the boxes (for the box in a box design I was mentioning) and rockwool would be as good a filler as any and better than most. I'm thinking that you'd need some sort of absorption inside the box, too, though. Otherwise, you'll end up with unexpected resonances inside the box which will affect your ability to record. A couple layers of heavy carpet might be enough, too... can't say I've ever tried. Gluing or screwing on some random small-sized scraps of the construction material (mdf or whatever) to the "back" and "front" of the inside walls will also help diffuse any standing waves. This can be done before the absorption material is added.

Greg

dh7892-- that sounds about right. I'll retract the word "amplify", which was just kind of thrown into my post without thinking of the actual science. I agree with what you wrote.

probus-- absolutely agree that the main construction should be something dense. But you'll need some sort of spacer between the boxes (for the box in a box design I was mentioning) and rockwool would be as good a filler as any and better than most. I'm thinking that you'd need some sort of absorption inside the box, too, though. Otherwise, you'll end up with unexpected resonances inside the box which will affect your ability to record. A couple layers of heavy carpet might be enough, too... can't say I've ever tried. Gluing or screwing on some random small-sized scraps of the construction material (mdf or whatever) to the "back" and "front" of the inside walls will also help diffuse any standing waves. This can be done before the absorption material is added.

Greg

I still don't quite understand what this thing is, does anyone have a photo or something..? I don't think you need another box inside a box if you take care to decouple the source from the box, for example with rock wool or similar. It wouldn't hurt either, and you would get a bit steadier floor for the amp. Both ways should work.

My recommendation would be a box made out of the thickest mdf or similar you can buy ($$) and put about an inch or more of wool on the inside walls. To avoid standing waves you could make the walls askew, if you feel the sound is too dry you can add some diffusive material on some of the walls. About the only thing you can do is try out different combinations, unless someone has already done it. I'm not and expert or a professional by any means, so just speculating.

I'm looking for materials to build an amplifier isolation cabinet...

I was thinking plywood, but then I thought there's gotta be a better material to use. the goal here is to isolate amp sound from outer noise.

what materials transfer sound the most ineffectively?

concrete my good man!!!! concrete!!! nothing transports sound poorlier than concrete. the thing about egg-catrons (pardon my lack of eluquence, I'm from Denmark).... is only functional when it comes to acoustics (the movements of soundwaves in a certain space/room.

If you live in a building with concrete walls and seem to hear the neighbour's daughter banging on with every guy in the neigbourhood, it relates to the iron-bars wich serves the purpose of strenghtening the construction, so it won't collapse first time somone lets a big one rip.

If I was able to carry the weight i'd like to cast a bass-guitar in concrete just to see how the sustain might be.

JBL actually made hi-fi speakers from concrete. (don't know if they do that anymore)