Annj Ibanez Jem Blueprint...?

I've been scouring these and other forums for months now, looking for a blueprint of the ibanez jem with annj (all access neck joint, which is the curved join not the square one), and come to the conclusion that such a blueprint doesnt even exist! I've found the non aanj blueprint, but I don't think it will be of any use too me. Also, a blueprint of the neck for the aanj ibanez jem would be something special!

What I would like to ask, to all donating members, is if there is a blueprint of the aanj ibanez jem body AND neck in the donators section of the forum?

Also, after looking through many forums (here and elsewhere) for these, i've noticed that there are hundreds of topics regarding the aanj jem blueprints, and i'm sure there would be a sudden spike in donators if both body and neck (aanj is the keyword here) blueprints were put into the donators section.

On the topic of the donators forum, I think somewhere in this forum should be a sticky outlining what there is up for download, to entice more people (like me) to donate, for the blueprints.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

Did you know that by donating $58 (plus shipping) to GuitarBuildingTemplates.com you can have your very own set of Jem templates? Not just paper blueprints, mind you, but hard templates that are yours to have and hold forever and ever amen.

http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/777.htm

Now, before you get all "thanks but I said blueprints, you (insert epithet here), and I don't have $58 (plus shipping) anyway, so just answer my question," let me just say this: :D

Welcome to the forum. :D

Did you know that by donating $58 (plus shipping) to GuitarBuildingTemplates.com you can have your very own set of Jem templates? Not just paper blueprints, mind you, but hard templates that are yours to have and hold forever and ever amen.

http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/777.htm

Now, before you get all "thanks but I said blueprints, you (insert epithet here), and I don't have $58 (plus shipping) anyway, so just answer my question," let me just say this: :D

Welcome to the forum. B)

:D Thanks for the welcome, but I said blueprints you ****. No but seriously, shipping to the UK for those templates is as much as the templates themselves :D ! (and the neck isn't great)

B)

Ok, I've come to the realisation i'm not going to get one as easy as I first thought! :D

I need one last thing of you guys...

anyoneplease.jpg

anotheroneforya.jpg

yetanotherone.jpg

To get me started on recreating the original jem plans into aanj ones (which I will post on here for you guys), I need these dimensions if anyone wouldnt mind please B)

1. Distance from end of fretboard to start of nut

2. Distance from the end of the fretboard to where strings first touch the trem

3. Height of fingerboard

4. Height of main neck peice at the body

5. Depth of where neck fits into the body

Thanks alot guys :D

Edited by tombur

I was just curious if you had any good local guitar shops. I know when making my own RG template I went down and got all the specs and actually the guys were really cool and let me carefully trace a floor model, which was a great help. While this RG had a regular neck joint, I played with the area until it felt the same as the aanj models. Even, if you have a store, they might not have any Jems, but it might be worth a try or at least a call. Just helping ya brainstorm as I went through the same thoughts when I first started looking into building. I wanted nothing more than to build either a jem or rg and for some reason now I have no desire, I much rather make up my own design, whether if it does look like another guitar or not, just as long as I like every aspect of it. In that sense if I do an RG or Jem shape it would more likely have specs that suit me and not the orginal. Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck in finding what you want and hope to see it all built and finished on here. J

I was just curious if you had any good local guitar shops. I know when making my own RG template I went down and got all the specs and actually the guys were really cool and let me carefully trace a floor model, which was a great help. While this RG had a regular neck joint, I played with the area until it felt the same as the aanj models. Even, if you have a store, they might not have any Jems, but it might be worth a try or at least a call. Just helping ya brainstorm as I went through the same thoughts when I first started looking into building. I wanted nothing more than to build either a jem or rg and for some reason now I have no desire, I much rather make up my own design, whether if it does look like another guitar or not, just as long as I like every aspect of it. In that sense if I do an RG or Jem shape it would more likely have specs that suit me and not the orginal. Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck in finding what you want and hope to see it all built and finished on here. J

Thanks, i'll definately phone around some guitar shops today! And I'm probably not going to completely immitate a jem, I want something unique. Unique inlays, unique paint, unique pickup arrangement, etc etc. This is definately a Custom Jem :D

For inlays i'm thinking something lit with LED's (maybe light up tree of life, im sure nobody has done that before B) )

For paint, maybe a swirl, maybe a custom paintjob, but I'd like to base the colours around the white and gold of the jem7v

Pickup arrangement maybe evo on the bridge, something warmer in the middle and a sustainer on the neck.

It's all in my head at the moment but it's hard to decide exactly what I want first :D

Regarding your questions:

3 - 6mm

4 - 20mm

5 - 19mm at body end of the pocket falling to approx. 19,5mm at the furthermost point of the pocket. This will give you 0,4° neck angle which allows the EDGE and LoPro trems their best functionality. Newer RGs have 0° neck angle but often need to be shimed a bit.

1 & 2 - You should work out these dimensions with the neck and the trem at hand.

I could give you drawings of my RG7. It´s an AANJ.

Basically a JEM is nothing more than a RG with added "BLING". My impression is that the shape of the RG7 differs ever so slightly to the 'normal' RG. But that´s nothing you would notice if you wouldn´t know where to look at.

Anyways: Shoot me a PM if you´re interested.

I should finish the drawings so they can be uploaded here...

Thanks for those! You learn something new every day (0.5 degree neck angle)!

I think i've figured out 1. at 494.86mm long... Can anyone verify this?

Also, i'll pass on the rg7 plans, but thanks anyway. I managed to cobble together an annj blueprint based on the original model, and based of these measurements from the body tutorial on the main page:

stv2.jpg

494,86mm seams reasonable as this is the distance from the nut to the 25th fret. So you get one fret overhang after the 24th. Don´t know if Ibanez does it exactly this way but I think it´s good enough.

One more bit of information: the neck pocket on AANJ bodies is 74mm long anlong the centerline.

If you want to use a EDGE or LoPro trem have a look at Ibanezrules. In the parts section where he sells these trems you can download some manuals. In one of these is a description how and where to place the trem.

In case you haven´t seen it: somewhere on Jemsite floats a blueprint of a JEM with the old fenderstyle neck joint. Given this isn´t what you are looking for it may provide you some ideas and measurements.

Have fun

Ingo

If you are using those dimensions for a ground up build STOP NOW, DO NOT USE THEM. While I believe triple fan did a good job with his dimensions, that is not how you determine bridge and neck placement. First thing first, learn about scale length and it's relation to everything on the guitar. If you are building the neck, your dimensions may end up different. The scale length will determine the bridge placement based on the nuts position. The neck pocket dimensions look right, but cut your neck pocket, then clamp the neck in place, then measure the scale length from the nut and mark it on the body. That is where your saddles should be, then place your bridge based on that mark. Absolutely buy Melvin Hiscocks book. Search this forum, read the tutorials, read articles and books. There is a lot more critical dimensions than you would think and where you need to get those measurements, is just as important as the dimensions themselves. With that information, you wil learn how everything relates to each other. And you will realize that you should not base you bridge placement on the end of the fretboard. If you neck end up being different it will throw everything off. If your neck pocket ends up being deeper or shallower, it will throw everything off.

The measurements I gave are based on my RGs and a JEM blueprint.

I should have stated clearer that these measurements only apply for a 25,5in 24 fret neck with no overhang of the fretboard over the neck heel in combination with a recessed Edge (or LoPro) trem.

These are the basic design features for the RG series and the JEM.

I didn´t say this so clear because I thought if someone asking for dimensions of a JEM these features would be obvious. Of course it is not so ihocky2 is completely right with his warning.

I don't think you're getting the point here...

The measurements you want are not critical in any way.

If you read up on the subject a bit you will realise what ihocky is really trying to say.

The measurement from the nut to the end of the fretboard doesn't matter if it's off by 1,2,3 or 5 mm

The measurement from the nut to the last fret is way more critical.

Same with the measurement between the end of the fretboard and the bridge, this doesn't really matter.

The thing that does matter however is the distance from the nut to the saddles.

Alles klar :D

I don't think you're getting the point here...

Alles klar :D

I perfectly understand which measurements and dimensions relate to which critical parts of the construction.

I just wanted to point out that the exact dimensions I gave (for example the pretty unusual neck angel of 0,4°) are based on design features which should be met if you want to keep the construction consistent.

All I wanted to say with my last post is that I even didn´t think about for example what scale length tombur wants to use. Just because a Ibanez copy in my book has to have 25,5in that doesn´t mean tombur will choose the same scale. So some of the measurements I gave could be thrown apart.

I´m completely with you that the position of the bridge has to be determined from the nut.

Ich denke schon... :D

Thanks for the advice guys! But yes I think I understand scale length and how it applies to the guitar's dimensions etc. The 25.5" scale i'm using means nut to saddles is 637.5 mm and nut to 24th fret is 485.77 mm, pretty positive about that. I wanted the nut to the end of the fretboard length just to make the designs loyal to the original jem in finding the length of the little fret overhang thing at the end (does it have a name)?

Anyway, I made a neck out of some fine carpentry wood (forgot the name), just to test if my methods were ok; in a day i produced the base of the neck (without the fretboard), and a neck slot to test if my aanj joint looks ok... It came out exactly how i wanted it :D

Will be ordering some maple soon to start work on the real neck! On the subject of neck, i'm thinking backlit vine inlays, but I need somebody elses opinion...

5 - 19mm at body end of the pocket falling to approx. 19,5mm at the furthermost point of the pocket. This will give you 0,4° neck angle which allows the EDGE and LoPro trems their best functionality. Newer RGs have 0° neck angle but often need to be shimed a bit.

Where did you find this JEM Neck angle information?

Edited by Metallion

There´s a blueprint of a JEM with old style neck heel joint somewhere over at Jemsite.

A cross section shows the depth of the neck pocket with it´s dimensions. Calculating the angle then is a breeze. In fact I checked the dimensions and the angle on a CAD system and it looked very good. I´m pretty confident that the dimensions work.

For the information that newer RGs have 0 neck angle I just have to look at on of my Ibbys. :D

Seriously I think I´ve read about that and that newer RGs/JEMs should be shimed somewhere on Ibanezrules` Tech section. Rich Harris is a well known guitar tech who knows quite a lot about Ibanez guitars and how they have to be set up.