there is still hope

I've read a test about that system a couple years ago in our Guitar/Bass mag but I can't remember what they wrote for the life of me...actually I think it's been quite some time, so I don't know about the "innovation" factor

so long

ace

i have also seen guitars with that style of fingerboard, and i don't think it's just a random "screw up".... those frets positions have to be just as accurate as any other fingerboard

were ppl thinking that i'd seen this website and not read it, and that i also thought that the luthier had made this and sold it in the hope that no one notices?????

OMMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!

tomorrow is my birthday and you ppl are making me unhappy...why would you want to do that to me? why?

Mike Mushok from Staind used those before his Ibanez endorsement/signature came out.

The way I remember them explaining the guitar is that each size string is better suited for a specific scale length for proper resonance and intonation. Guitars maybe 24.75" or 25.0" or 25.5". Baritone and bass are longer...etc. Anyway each of the strings is a different scale length, and therefore to have one fret spanning across the fingerboard, it would have to be diagonal at some points. Imagine the scale length of the low E being a 26", the D being a 25.5" and the A being somewhere in between. Thats basically how it works.

I don't know what scale lengths are on those basses, but when the Novax fanned fret system came out in the early 90's, the Guitar version that Ralph Novak was building had 25.5" scale for the low E, and 24" scale for the high E.

I do sort of prefer the sound of the high E on one of my 24" scale guitars over the high E on my 25.5", for certain songs, but I can't say that I prefer a 25.5" scale low E any more than a 24 3/4" or 25" scale. A 24" low E isn't so great, though.

I think a 25" is a good compromise.

Ralph has a patent on this fannned fret design, but Sheldon Dingwall must think it's pretty good to pay the fees to Ralph for using it.

Interesting that Sheldon is putting phenolic nuts on his basses. I have done that and think it suits basses very well. I've had mixed results with it on guitar, though.