Grizzly Guitar Kits

I've always been curious about the Grizzly heirloom guitar kits and wondered if anyone here had any experience. I was only able to find posts that talked about getting the guitars and initial impressions, but I haven't found any that talked about a finished result. I'm really curious if the materials are any good, if the electronics and hardware are decent, and if the finished guitar is worth the price. They all seem a little more expensive than other similar kits. The one I wish was still available was the Les Paul copy that they offered briefly several years ago. If anyone has any practical experience with these guitars (or if you have any additional information on who makes the kits for Grizzly), I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Jason

Do a search in the forum for the thread. I think someone got one not too long ago, say Jan. or Feb. If I recall, they use veneer on their tops vs.. say 1/2 or better stock prior to carving. The kits look tempting, however, I'm sure you'll want to swap out the hardware and pickups. Then again, they can't be any worse than the popular Sega kits.

Good luck with your choice.

Do a search in the forum for the thread. I think someone got one not too long ago, say Jan. or Feb. If I recall, they use veneer on their tops vs.. say 1/2 or better stock prior to carving. The kits look tempting, however, I'm sure you'll want to swap out the hardware and pickups. Then again, they can't be any worse than the popular Sega kits.

I searched the forum a bunch of times and only ever found one reply related to a completed Grizzly kit ("It's awesome!"). There were a few dealing with initial impressions, but that's about it. This is the only site I could find that had any decent pictures or information: http://www.accelerationtech.com/tiger-eye/main.htm Again, nothing there about a completed project.

For the money, I wouldn't expect them to have solid tops or anything. However, I WOULD expect them to have reasonably decent hardware and electronics. I wouldn't want to shell out close to $400 for a kit, and then have to spend another $150 on upgraded electronics and hardware. Might as well just buy an Epi LP and be done with it.

I searched the forum a bunch of times and only ever found one reply related to a completed Grizzly kit ("It's awesome!"). There were a few dealing with initial impressions, but that's about it. This is the only site I could find that had any decent pictures or information: http://www.accelerationtech.com/tiger-eye/main.htm Again, nothing there about a completed project.

For the money, I wouldn't expect them to have solid tops or anything. However, I WOULD expect them to have reasonably decent hardware and electronics. I wouldn't want to shell out close to $400 for a kit, and then have to spend another $150 on upgraded electronics and hardware. Might as well just buy an Epi LP and be done with it.

wouldn't it be better if it had good wood and crappy hardware? that what I really hope for...

wouldn't it be better if it had good wood and crappy hardware? that what I really hope for...

That would be fine if the thing didn't cost $400 :D

There's a Grizzly showroom in Springfield, MO, which I'm half-tempted to drive down to just to check out their luthier supplies. Unfortunately I'd probably blow $75 on gas, so that's probably not very realistic.

That would be fine if the thing didn't cost $400 :D

There's a Grizzly showroom in Springfield, MO, which I'm half-tempted to drive down to just to check out their luthier supplies. Unfortunately I'd probably blow $75 on gas, so that's probably not very realistic.

yeah, that's true. i would expect it to be more expensive if it had good wood... $500 and over