http://fretsonfire.sourceforge.net/

To be honest, I haven't tried it yet. But if you're like me and you don't have a PS2/XBox360 and were itching to try one of these Guitar Hero games, this might be the ticket. Apparently you can import GH tunes (and I've seen a YouTube video to support that theory) but like I say... haven't tried it yet.

I've tried it before- it seems good, but I've only tried it on my laptop- I think it would be more fun on a desktop since you can pick up the keyboard and hold it like the GH controller.

LOL, let me know how it works, I'm curious. I have a few consoles that I enjoy and I have the two GH games and they are a blast. I can't tell you why, but for some reason they're fun. Let us know how it works out, I think those who can should give it a try, its enjoyable for whatever reason. J

I've played Frets On Fire occasionally... it's entertaining and the price is right for someone like me who refuses to buy console game systems. :D

A couple friends of mine have Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II, and I have to admit they are fun. I was skeptical until I played for a little while.

I've played Frets On Fire occasionally... it's entertaining and the price is right for someone like me who refuses to buy console game systems. :D

A couple friends of mine have Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II, and I have to admit they are fun. I was skeptical until I played for a little while.

It's tough to explain to people. I know I was the same way and never even thought about playing them til months after the second GH had come out. I always laughed and said, yeah well I can really play that and all the other excuses listed here! But its just a kick back, fun, guitar player oriented form of entertainment. It's not about guitar playing, its just a game and fun, yes guitar is very fun too play as well, but when you aren't playing and just feel playing a game, try it, you'll honestly be surprised. I think for many their egos prevent them from playing the games, I know mine did, but I am a gamer as well as a guitarist, so I could only resist for so long before I gave in and tried it. If you like playing guitar, this game is fun, period not one person could ever convince me otherwise. In terms of helping you play, I don't see any real value, not in my eyes, it might possibly help someone who has never played guitar at all, but for even beginners I don't see value, just entertainment.

You know what I really dislike about Guitar Hero? Its not that its a game about playing guitar. Its all the "fanbois" who are like, "OMGZ! GEETAR HERO IS AWESOME! IT'S JUST LIKE PLAYING GUITAR FOR REALZ!"

No, its not.

Yeah, I still haven't tried FoF yet, but when I tried GH I had the same problem. I was like... "these are the same 5 buttons for different notes!"

I don't know if I know anybody who actually thinks GH is just like playing the guitar for real, though. Then again, I only know a select few people who play GH at all and they're pretty smart blokes who know the difference.

You know what I really dislike about Guitar Hero? Its not that its a game about playing guitar. Its all the "fanbois" who are like, "OMGZ! GEETAR HERO IS AWESOME! IT'S JUST LIKE PLAYING GUITAR FOR REALZ!"

No, its not.

Exactly what I was saying, it has no value to guitar playing. And as Rick said its actually easier for non guitar players for a few reasons. It really is nothing like playing a guitar aside from the grip and picking, which could be accomplished the same while playing air guitar on a tennis racket. I still think its a blast to play, but it doesn't translate to real guitar playing at all, no matter what anyone says. Its just entertainment, period.

EDIT: HAs anyone heard about this new one called Rock Band. I think MTV is involved in that one(I think) and I just got an update from one of my gaming sites showing the controller which is a Fender Strat. I thought that was interesting, from the sounds of the game that I read a long time ago, it sounded cool. I really don't have any good info or current info, but I probably will end up trying this new one out as well. I believe this Rock Band had a few new features that the GH games didn't have, which should make it interesting. If anyone looks the game up and finds any good info, post it. J

Edited by jmrentis

No, its not.

Exactly what I was saying, it has no value to guitar playing. And as Rick said its actually easier for non guitar players for a few reasons. It really is nothing like playing a guitar aside from the grip and picking, which could be accomplished the same while playing air guitar on a tennis racket. I still think its a blast to play, but it doesn't translate to real guitar playing at all, no matter what anyone says. Its just entertainment, period.

EDIT: HAs anyone heard about this new one called Rock Band. I think MTV is involved in that one(I think) and I just got an update from one of my gaming sites showing the controller which is a Fender Strat. I thought that was interesting, from the sounds of the game that I read a long time ago, it sounded cool. I really don't have any good info or current info, but I probably will end up trying this new one out as well. I believe this Rock Band had a few new features that the GH games didn't have, which should make it interesting. If anyone looks the game up and finds any good info, post it. J

Yeah I've heard about rock band, looks pretty decent if your into that sort of thing. Much better controller than GH.

Here are a few links if your interested. link 1 link 2

No, its not.

Heh, take this post and amplify the language and hate by 10 times and you have my original post. Anytime I get giddy or excited about playing a guitar related game, I'll pick up my bass and work on something. :D

Word has it that tonnes of touring guitarists love this game. :D It's not pathetic to enjoy a game, after all!

As I said in my original post I think it has something to do with the male guitarists ego. I was the same exact way with the same exact excuses, feelings, and phrases. I dunno how to explain it, but its fun, especially for guitarist. Its guitar related entertainment, its made for us. I'm sure those tour guys get a bunch of the bands members or friends together, have fun and start mashing buttons on those controllers. I dunno, I guess its tough to get people to understand, its just an enjoyable game and is worth giving a try. If you have time and money to try a new pedal or pickup, you have enough to try a fun game. If you play it and don't like it at all, then cool beans, but to completely avoid it for no reason and be against it is silly, don't worry about those kids who play it, they will pick up a real guitar and be completely lost, that has nothing to do with you enjoying a game.

haha you feel like crap but the first time you play it and u suck........and then some random that doesnt play guitar rips you up hahaha

happened to me the other day i was like .............i play guitar...i swear i do

then thats when you really play "Jordan" to show em whos boss....good stuff... :D i really enjoy the game and the explorer controller, im excited for the 80's edition to go to 360, its got RATT!

I might try GH III when it comes to the wii (because it's the only console I own :D ) but until then I'm happy playing other video games and real guitar :D

Here I found the link of the rock band controller if anyone is interested. link

I was surprised wii hadn't had something like GH yet, as that is their style with the crazy controller use stuff, that system is like a mix between a video game and going out to play sports, its strange but extremely fun, sounds crazy but the tennis rocks!

Anyhow thanks for that link, that controller looks way better. I think the extra 5 frets at the bottom is great and will make it more fun to play around on. Cool stuff! J

I confess I bought one. But I havent played it since i got stuck on one of the last songs on medium. Its so hard because the timing of the song doesn't correspond with the notes you are playing. I had to shut off the volume to get any kind of score out of it. I still cant beat it so it'll be hittin ebay soon. Yes I do play guitar and that game is not remotely guitar. Its dance mix revolution with a stick.