Anybody Ever Patent Anything?

I have a process to make a photo appear on metal that I've never seen anybody do before. I don't have a machine, just steps. The thing that bothers me is that I use a certain product in order for it to work, there is something in it to make the chemical process work. Without knowing what's in there, is it possible to patent this?

Is it possible to patent this?

You can patent processes. If I were you, I'd try to get a hold of the company that makes the product you use and see if you can find out its ingredients. You could also probably find an MSDS data sheet on the internet for the product you use (www.msds.com). From there, you could see if you can get the individual ingredients and see if you can determine which one is actually relevant in your process.

Hey....if pharmecutical companies can patent the genes of living things, you can patent this.

All it takes is several thousand dollars for an attorney to get you through the process, and then you can spam random internet forums to market your product. :D

I've been to the patent office trying to register some of my

inventions. I went to the main desk to sign in and the lady at the

desk had a form that had to be filled out.

She wrote down my personal info and then asked me what I had

invented. I said, "A folding bottle."

She said, "Okay, what do you call it?"

"A Fottle"

"What else do you have?"

"A folding carton."

"What do you call it?"

"A Farton."

She snickered and said, "Those are silly names for products and one

of them sounds kind of crude."

I was so upset by her comment that I grabbed the form and left the

office without telling her about my folding bucket.

:D

+20. Extra-expensive. An individual can't really do it without a backer that believes in the validity of the patent and feasibility of making a marketable product. Gotta have investors, even if it's a collection of friends and family, a bank loan, a small business loan from the gov't, etc. It's certainly not something you can do properly on a whim.

+20. Extra-expensive. An individual can't really do it without a backer that believes in the validity of the patent and feasibility of making a marketable product. Gotta have investors, even if it's a collection of friends and family, a bank loan, a small business loan from the gov't, etc. It's certainly not something you can do properly on a whim.

Got that right!! I'm out about 5k so far and it's not looking as good as I would like!!! But is not lost as of yet. But I see more $ coming. It's a major investment that may work or not.

MK

Edited by MiKro

No way. If you really think you have something that's worth patenting, the sooner the better. You need to file your patent application before someone else, or they'll get all the glory.

That's the rub, though-- it has to be something you really believe in. Only the rich can afford to patent every little dumb idea they have. :D

Purchasing a patent is one thing, enforcing it is something else. Ever heard of Philo T Farnsworth? He invented the TV patented it and had it stole from him by RCA. He fought them but their big pockets kept it in court until his patent ran out. Then they admitted they stole it and he was left with nothing. In addition not everyone is under US Patent Laws. So they look at your patent, see how you made it and make it in China. Best of luck all the same!

• 1 year later...
Guest RavenT

That all depends which country you’re from? I am from Canada. What I was told here that if I did the paper work myself. It also depends on the type of patent you are getting. For my example I modified existing tools from a different industry to work in the guitar industry. Call you local patent Office and ask them for a patent kit. Since it is a process. I was told that since the tools I had modified were no longer patented and public domain, I would be able to patent the modification and that I could also patent the concept. I was told to bring $175.00 to open the file, it takes a few weeks and once it is accepted you have to pay $400.00 for the research once it has started it can take up to 2 years to do all the research. Then if it is approved a $200.00 or so fee and then you have the patent. When you do open the file it is patent pending and you can star to sale your process. It comes to a total of about $700.00. Like the guy who made the gigmate tool kit since the tools he used were from other companies the only things that is really patented is the little tool case. If you go with a patent agent then it’s going to cost a lot but by doing the paper work your self you well save a lot. Hope this helps.