My Seven String Acoustic

I've attached the neck and fretboard this week, and will finish work on the headstock soon. It's coming along :D Sorry, the pictures aren't fantastic

02.jpg

http://www.darkmatterguitars.com/siteimage...g/210607/01.jpg

http://www.darkmatterguitars.com/siteimage...g/210607/03.jpg

http://www.darkmatterguitars.com/siteimage...g/210607/04.jpg

The back and side wood is an especially nice bit of European walnut.

The bracing's somewhat of a difficult one, because of the fanned frets (and therefore angled bridge/bridgeplate) the bracing is of a strange pattern to start off with as you can see in the picture below (an in-progress picture of the soundboard). But as a general rule, it was left a little stiffer than normal.

01.jpg

No. :D

The low E (in this case, low B I guess!) and high E are different scale lengths-- consequently, each and every string is a different scale length; though, the above poster is after the 2 outside scale lengths as a frame of reference for the fanned frets.

Lookin' good so far! I don't have the guts to even dream about an acoustic build yet...

Yup. If you Google or forum search, there's a lot out there about fanned frets. Novak (Novax?) has a particular system of fanning that he has patented, though you can't patent fanning in general.

You select your 2 'outside string' scale lenths, decide which fret will be the perpendicular one as a reference point, (it'll affect the degree to which frets are fanned in the open vs. high frets), and connect the dots from there.

Greg

Novak (Novax?) has a particular system of fanning that he has patented, though you can't patent fanning in general.

As I understand it, said patent has now expired. And his system (all frets converge to a single point in space) resulted in incorrect intonation anyway. I did the math awhile back, and IIRC it works only if your strings are parallel i.e. no neck taper. Otherwise all bets (or notes..) are off.

The "inner & outer scale lengths & connect the dots" method works just fine (and got you out of Novak's $75 license fee scam).

Jammy, have you ever thought about using a fabric tape for the sides, rather than wood braces?

Edited by erikbojerik

That bracing pattern seems pretty cool. Using the X in the narrower upper bouts, and ladder in the wider lower bout area seems like a great approch. The ladders stronger cross grain stiffness should really help balance the backs stiffness nicely. It will be interesting to find out how it works after you play it a bit. Good thinkin :D . I was kinda curious about the heavier bracing down the center of the lower bout. What are you trying to achive with the heavier center brace down there?

Peace,Rich

Thanks everyone! Wow - lots of questions!

Back bracing: The reason the lower brace is there running along the centre of the top is to try and maintain it's dome shape. At that point the upper X can't really hold the radius any more, and that brace takes over.

The scarf joint... Even easier that that to be honest! I did a straight scarf but with a reasonably thick neck blank, I then sanded the headstock face unevenly on my linisher to swing the break angle round to where I needed it. The headstock was then thicknessed on the pin router using it's front face as a reference. Hence the guitar's got a twisted headstock! :D

erikbojerik: Interesting stuff indeed!

Heh. That'd work!

Other question: why the X in the upper bout? Contrary to Rich, I don't quite see the point to the intersection where it is; the rim's narrow around there, and will hold the shape, while the lower bout is the wide, usupported area where I locate my X-brace (ok, where I've located the one X-brace I've done). A double-X back (upper and lower) also appeals.

A double-X back (upper and lower) also appeals.

I concur. I also use a brace along the center seam for added support for the done. I am actually thinking about including some smaller braces in between the main braces in the next guitar. I think this will significantly stiffen the back in the center and then carve the braces thinner around the perimeter. I am going for the speaker come effect.

Again, I will be very interested to hear how this sounds. I support any experimentation with bracing. My main 'theory' behind the double-x back bracing that I use was primarily aesthetic based on how cool the upper x looked through the soundhole. It was after I designed this that I realized the acoustic aspect of the double x system (and liked it even more). You just never know...

~David

Heh. That'd work!

Other question: why the X in the upper bout? Contrary to Rich, I don't quite see the point to the intersection where it is; the rim's narrow around there, and will hold the shape, while the lower bout is the wide, usupported area where I locate my X-brace (ok, where I've located the one X-brace I've done). A double-X back (upper and lower) also appeals.

Mattia,

I was looking at the difference between X and Ladder as it relates to cross grain stiffness. Ladder in the wider lower bout area would improve cross grain stiffness over X in that area. I was not looking at holding the arch better or worse. As far as the location of the intersection in the upper bout area. I didn't really have a comment. I have never tried bracing this way, and will be curious to see how it works out for him.

Peace,Rich