Has Anyone Tried This?

has anyone tried using acrylic latex paint (basically, the type of paints used for bedrooms) then lacquer over it with nitro or poly? is it possible? how's the result? i'm not sure how to get my hands on some better paint, like tinted lacquer or whatever. btw i live in canada, if you know of any good places for paints and stuff. also i'll probably need some white primer, what kinds are there? and where to get them? thanks :D

has anyone tried using acrylic latex paint (basically, the type of paints used for bedrooms) then lacquer over it with nitro or poly?

Yeah, we use glossy all the time....we know the kids are just going to draw on it with crayons, so it's a whole lot easier to get clean.

Never used nitro or poly over it...it would cost way too much to clear coat their whole bedroom. :D

has anyone tried using acrylic latex paint (basically, the type of paints used for bedrooms) then lacquer over it with nitro or poly?

Yeah, we use glossy all the time....we know the kids are just going to draw on it with crayons, so it's a whole lot easier to get clean.

Never used nitro or poly over it...it would cost way too much to clear coat their whole bedroom. :D

lol. if it wasn't obvious, i meant painting a GUITAR!! :D

I've never tried it, but my guess would be that it would not work. Latex is a rubber type of product, meaning that it is a rubber based paint. I would think that the latex base would either react very poorly with the solvents in any of the laquers or the lacquer just won't adhere at all.

Have a look at the June issue of Popular Woodworking Magazine. On page 78 is an article on making an antique furniture finish. The guy uses ........

latex paint and lacquer. The result looks real interesting in the pictures. The relic people may want to see this.

Basically, he brushes on a coat of latex paint and then a coat of lacquer. Next, it get heated with a heat gun until it bubbles. When cooled, he scrapes the bubbles down. Then it gets coated with another complimentary color of latex, more lacquer, heat and scraping. He then wipes on a glaze to get an aged look and then lacqers over it all. As I said, the results are pretty nice and he claims that antique dealers have had a hard time beleiving that it is new. I'd like to see this on a guitar.

On page 84 of the same magazine is an article about a songwriter in Nashville who makes flaminco style guitars.

Wow, sorry to go off topic, but I just have never seen that Top Donor tag before, very cool of you to do that. What did you have to do donate a liver or something, lol jk. I've got to donate this year, even though I am broke and get very little money, I feel that this site is well worth it and would like to see it continue on for a long time. In the few years I have spent here I have learned how to build an entire guitar from scratch just from all the tutorials and great information and posts from everyone. I will donate this year and probably something that will cover the time I have spent here and hope to spend here. Anyhow, sorry again to go off topic, but your badge inspired me to go into a sentimental speech, lol.

Well, to stay off topic for a bit with you jmrentis, I was actually a bit surprised at the amount that got me the tag. My sentimental speach would be about my being very grateful for the advice and help I get here. You can see by my post count that I mostly lurk, but I try to give back something relevant when I can. I take a lot of pride in showng people my last guitar build and making it clear that I learned everything off the web. I felt I had gotten something of real value, that I would have been happy to pay for in book form. So I made a donation equal to about the price of two books. I'd encourage everyone else to consider donating the price of a book or two. Better yet, take my tag!