Truss Rod Question

would a double action be overkill for a non laminated neck? the neck is a little on the thin side, so I'm planning on just having a single action truss rod, as I see no need for a double action. would there be a need for a double action? and on the hotrods, is the length the overall length? like it the 18" rod 18" exactly, or is it longer/shorter?

I always use a double action trus rod. Having said that I almost never use "the second action" but it is there as an insurance.

I like the double-action rods too. In case you have the neck back bow, due to climate changes or install fat frets with light strings.

It is slim that it'll happen, but if it does, you have a way to adjust the neck....

Oh, and wait for the rod to show up. That way you'll have the exact length, in case there is a slight variation.

Edited by MP63

I don't know if the hot-rods are like this, but the 18" rods I've gotten from LMI are 18" overall length - that includes the length for the adjusting nut, much of which is actually in the headstock and not under the board (at least, the way I build my angled-stock necks.) So for an 18" rod, I actually only end up needing to worry about a bit over 17" actually fitting under my board.

Just a quick question regarding trus rods. What is the appeal of the spoke truss rods? I read that it can be turned without an allen key, but aside from that, are there more benefits. I hear many people getting them and looking for them and was wondering why. Part of why I ask is sometimes I see the cut in the fretboard to use the spoke and I wonder if these people like the look or are sacrificing for some benefits of the spoke that I am unaware of? Because, honestly, I don't like missing out on the good stuff. So, any opinions on spoked truss rods would be very much appreciated. J

Edited by jmrentis

Just easier access. That is if the "spoke t-rod" is the same thing I'm thinking of. And I feel it's even easier access than a headstock adjustment style, because the strings move out of the way easier at the body end of the neck.

I always use the allen wrench for a floyd locking nut to stick into one of the holes and then turn the "nut".

I would never want a 2 way rod in any of my personal guitars.

I picked up a Gretsch baritone real cheap off Ebay a couple months ago, mainly on account of a broken single-action truss rod.

The previous owner overtightened it. As a result the fretboard surface & neck had way too much relief.

I replaced the broken rod with a double-action "Hot Rod" which enabled the neck to straighten out very nicely.

Being able to adjust the rod both directions proved to be a Godsend in this case.

the most apparent benefit of a spoke wheel rod is that you don't weaken the headstock by creating a space for the rod adjustment. So you get the benefit of a heel adjustment without the usual access problems that traditional heel adjustment rods have.