Hardtail Bridge, Strings Thu Rear, Any Good ?

Hello,

I wanted to order a string thru body hardtail bridge but the place where I'm getting all the hardware at a great price has ran out so I opted to order one with strings loaded thru the back of the bridge.

I've never heard of those kind of hardtail bridges. How are they compared to the thru body ones ? Would it sound different with the strings not holding onto the body ferrules ? Also where exactly on the bridge are the string bullets held ? I've put a pic here:

BG-2001-A.jpg

It has 3 holes for screws, I imagine you have to take the saddles off to screw it on. Is that strong enough compared to 4 screws on each corner of the thru body ones ?

Sorry for all those questions, I just need to make sure this bridge is a genuine one :D

Cheers,

Are you sure about how those strings load on that one. In the pic I see what looks like holes directly under the saddles in the base plate where the string would go and be loaded from the back of the guitar. That bridge looks very similar to a hipshot bridge I like and I believe the strings must be loaded from th back on that one as well. Well anyways, I would see if you could get better pics or information on it just in case you have to buy some ferrules, if not no worries. I know the type of bridge where the string load from the bottom of the bridge by the saddle screws, but in that pic I cannot tell and the holes in the bottom are throwing me off a bit. 3 screws should be plenty enough to hold a bridge also.

Yes I've been in touch with the guy and they definitely load from the back. Not sure exactly where so we'll see. I'm curious to see those kind of bridges, it would also save time not having to drill the thru body holes :D

They also have a similar bridge with a different saddle style:

BG-2001-B.jpg

Wasn't interested in it because I sometimes like to put my hand on top of the bridge when I play :D

Cool, cool, my brain is fried right now from working on my finals for the last few days straight, so my posts are worthless. I cannot quite remember how those strings load, I wanna say they either have holes just below the saddle screws in the bottom/base thing or the saddle screws are hollowed enough to allow for strings to pass through, not quite sure though, that second one might be my mind wandering with ideas. Anyhow, 3 screws will be fine, there are plenty of decent bridges that are attached like that. It looks nice and clean, as I said there is a similar hipshot one I like, the base has a little curve on it and has edges all the way around, but its similar. Can you find out what its made of? Best of luck to you. J

PS>Thank you Greg, I looked but couldn't find a pic like that, which is what I had in mind. Do you see the holes in the base Greg that I was talking about in the first pic, which makes it look like a string thru. As I said, it could be my mind and eyes are just fried.

And here's a link to a different typs of top loading bridge, which requires a small channel under the bridge Top loading hardtail

Edited by jmrentis

Cool, cool, my brain is fried right now from working on my finals for the last few days straight, so my posts are worthless. I cannot quite remember how those strings load, I wanna say they either have holes just below the saddle screws in the bottom/base thing or the saddle screws are hollowed enough to allow for strings to pass through, not quite sure though, that second one might be my mind wandering with ideas. Anyhow, 3 screws will be fine, there are plenty of decent bridges that are attached like that. It looks nice and clean, as I said there is a similar hipshot one I like, the base has a little curve on it and has edges all the way around, but its similar. Can you find out what its made of? Best of luck to you. J

PS>Thank you Greg, I looked but couldn't find a pic like that, which is what I had in mind. Do you see the holes in the base Greg that I was talking about in the first pic, which makes it look like a string thru. As I said, it could be my mind and eyes are just fried.

And here's a link to a different typs of top loading bridge, which requires a small channel under the bridge Top loading hardtail

I cant see anyway that the strings will pass cleanly through to the rear way too much saddle in the way. The holes must be under the saddle in a slot style configuration.

As far as sustain goes I am still waiting for the final word from up above what really does work and I will follow those instructions to the tee when they are revealed to me. Everyone seems to have there own what will work best theory. I am waiting for the big book of debunked guitar building theory before I will commit to any answers on sustain changes.

A have a bridge where the holes are on the rear of the angle behind the saddles but the saddles are cut to allow the strings to pass through to these holes. I use one on my neck jig surrogate body. See picture below same as the picture link from GregP

IMG_0180.JPG

Woodenspoke

Edited by Woodenspoke