Pics of guitar,fretting ...

goat

I attached a link to where I`m at right now.

I don`t like the way that ebony sands out.

Should I glue the frets or just press them in?

I ordered the brass caul for $3.99 from Stew-Mac and sandwiched it between steel and welded it.I can just pull it out and replace with any sized radius caul.I attached it to some round stock and bolted it so it will move and settle where it has to...just like the high priced one :D

CLICK HERE

As long as your tangs are wider then the cuts of the fretboard you can just press them in. What is it about the sanding of Ebony that you don't care for? To me it felt different while sanding then Rosewood or Maple for sure but it seemed to sand out easy enough.

Brian, I hope you mean fret " beads" and not the tang, because on Ebony, even a 1:1 match of tang width and slot width is probably going to cause a little backbow. I'd want the tang width a half a thousanth smaller. ie: .0240" fret board slot / .0235" tang width. The beads are probably around .032", but I'd shave 'em down to the fret-slot width, for my method ,and use super-glue. They'll hold without glue if you leave 'em, but there's the backbow problem again.

He's got to measure his slots and tang width and bead width.

As long as your tangs are wider then the cuts of the fretboard you can just press them in. What is it about the sanding of Ebony that you don't care for? To me it felt different while sanding then Rosewood or Maple for sure but it seemed to sand out easy enough.

It did sand very easy.I guess I just liked the way it worked around 600 and 800.By the time 2000 came,the oily residue was annoying.

Next time I`ll just use a rasp. :D