Wiring Question

dap9

Ok, I have a guitar that has Seymore Duncan pups = the JB/59 combo. It's got two volumes and one Tone.

The JB is a 4-conductor pup. I want to be able to do a coil split for the JB and I want to use a stacked concentric pot for my tone control so I can have independent tones for each pup.

I have the parts I need - a push/pull pot and the stacked concentric pot. But I'm having a heck of a time finding a schematic that works for me. Am I correct in thinking that I can replace the JB's stock Volume Pot w/ the push/pull? I've seen some schematics where the coil split happens w/ the tone knob. I obvously don't want that.

So anyone have some pointers for me? I'm thinking of just printing up a diagram of a traditional LP diagram w/ push/pull splits and a diagram for my set up and figuring it out from there. I figured I'd post before I dove in.

Thanks in advance!

I've seen some schematics where the coil split happens w/ the tone knob. I obvously don't want that.

either will work just fine. you need to wire the guitar as normal and then wire the coil tap wires from your humbucker to the switch. it makes no difference if the switch is attached to the back of a volume or a tone pot because the switch and the pot operate seperatly even though they are built together

I've seen some schematics where the coil split happens w/ the tone knob. I obvously don't want that.

either will work just fine. you need to wire the guitar as normal and then wire the coil tap wires from your humbucker to the switch. it makes no difference if the switch is attached to the back of a volume or a tone pot because the switch and the pot operate seperatly even though they are built together

Thanks Wez. Here's a lazy question (b/c I can prolly look it up easy enough) - whcih are the coil tap wires? If you don't know off the top of your head, no worries, I'll find it.

Thanks again!

I think on SD's it is the white and red wires that get soldered together and used for the coil split - the black is your 'hot' and goes to the tab on the volume pot and the green is the ground wire

Yep, that's it. I actually had a few diagrams saved on my computer. One last question - I have a pot that you push and it stays down, then you push again so it pops up. Ok, 2 questions:

1. Can I decide which position is the split (ie, the "down" position)?

2. I want the coil closest to the bridge to be the "on" coil when I do the split. Which tab is that one?

I'm kinda goin' by this diagram: Click Here

Thanks!

i havnt used a push/push switch yet so cant help with that and i am not sure which wires will give you screw coil and which will give you slug side. But if you take your best guess and wire it up - it wont take long to swap around if you get it wrong

My guess is the lower set of lugs (furthest from the knobs) will be connected to the center set of lugs in the down position. When its up, the upper lugs should be connected to the center lugs.

Switches like that usually follow logic when you look at them. Sometimes they will surprise you, though.