About Installing New Pickups! Help Noob

yngvay23

Hey everybody i just bought some HS-3 Pickups and i would love to know the correct wiring for them in the neck and bridge positions, i have a 4 pole 5 way switch, and the middle position is fitted with a stock fender pickup, i would like to fit the neck and bridge positions with this HS3 , but the question is, how do i wire them?? i should wire them as humbuckers or single coils to work better? help me out please!... i would like to keep my 5 way switch, and still use positions 2 and 4 combining neck and middle and bridge middle sound of the strat cause i use them to play some blues stuff... Help me out !

should i wire them as humbuckers or single coils to work better? help me out please!...

depends on what kind of sound you want. single coils will give you that stratty sound and humbucker give a fuller, fatter sound.

humbuckers also cancel hum, :D , if your nit-picky about hum then go with that.

i'd personally say go out and buy this switch and use this diagram so that you can experiment with north/south/humbucking coil sounds.

but this is totally my opinion.

as for your wiring question, i'd definately recommend guitarelectronics.com wiring schematics. they've got just about every wiring diagram for you.

My personal feeling is that since you already have the 4-pole switch (as opposed to a standard 5-way Fender switch), you have a few good options that don't require additional mini-switches. My PERSONAL feeling is that there's no point burdening yourself with a tonne of options. Here are a pair of choices from GuitarElectronics that will work with your HS3 in neck and bridge, and your Fender single-coil in the middle:

http://guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHSH5L1103

http://guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHSH5L1102

Remember, your HS3 have 4-conductor wiring just like any modern "splittable" humbucker... so you don't need to look for specialized diagrams for single-coil-sized humbuckers. A diagram using any 4-conductor humbuckers, a superswitch, and a single coil will work fine, so if you know of a guitar that has the configuration you want, you can just give'er. Some manufacturers have custom "superswitches", which won't be helpful, but the research will eventually yield fruit.

DiMarzio's own site is a bit trickier to navigate, but I'm sure some exploration would yield results. None of the diagrams reached through the HS3 sub-page cut it, but that doesn't mean DiMarzio doesn't have the answers. Also, pickup companies' tech departments often have informal tech diagrams lying around. EMG's techs were kind enough to send me a few once upon a time and I bet DiMarzio would be able to do the same-- just let them know what you're after.

Alternatively, if you still have your standard Fender switch around, you can even say "screw it" to mucking around with coil split, and go for something like this:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schem...H_1v_1t_5w.html

The HS3s would just be wired in series (that's the 'wired together and taped off' part) and otherwise treated the same way you'd treat 3 single-coils.

----

Bottom line, there's no reason on earth to pick a configuration that will have your HS3 only ever using one coil. There's no point. You definitely want to find a diagram that will allow you to use them as humbuckers in some or all positions, IMO.

Greg

My personal feeling is that since you already have the 4-pole switch (as opposed to a standard 5-way Fender switch), you have a few good options that don't require additional mini-switches. My PERSONAL feeling is that there's no point burdening yourself with a tonne of options. Here are a pair of choices from GuitarElectronics that will work with your HS3 in neck and bridge, and your Fender single-coil in the middle:

http://guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHSH5L1103

http://guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUHSH5L1102

Remember, your HS3 have 4-conductor wiring just like any modern "splittable" humbucker... so you don't need to look for specialized diagrams for single-coil-sized humbuckers. A diagram using any 4-conductor humbuckers, a superswitch, and a single coil will work fine, so if you know of a guitar that has the configuration you want, you can just give'er. Some manufacturers have custom "superswitches", which won't be helpful, but the research will eventually yield fruit.

DiMarzio's own site is a bit trickier to navigate, but I'm sure some exploration would yield results. None of the diagrams reached through the HS3 sub-page cut it, but that doesn't mean DiMarzio doesn't have the answers. Also, pickup companies' tech departments often have informal tech diagrams lying around. EMG's techs were kind enough to send me a few once upon a time and I bet DiMarzio would be able to do the same-- just let them know what you're after.

Alternatively, if you still have your standard Fender switch around, you can even say "screw it" to mucking around with coil split, and go for something like this:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schem...H_1v_1t_5w.html

The HS3s would just be wired in series (that's the 'wired together and taped off' part) and otherwise treated the same way you'd treat 3 single-coils.

----

Bottom line, there's no reason on earth to pick a configuration that will have your HS3 only ever using one coil. There's no point. You definitely want to find a diagram that will allow you to use them as humbuckers in some or all positions, IMO.

Greg

Miss your old avatar Greg. :D