Wiring For Killswitch

Kemp Williams

It's the simplest thing in the world. Just connect the one lead on the switch to the middle lead on the volume pot and the other to the ground. That will bypass all the electronics in the guitar when it's depressed.

That works, or, you could also splice the switch somewhere in the positive to the output jack. The first way is easier though...

Damn, look what buckethead started, lol.

It's the simplest thing in the world. Just connect the one lead on the switch to the middle lead on the volume pot and the other to the ground. That will bypass all the electronics in the guitar when it's depressed.

That works, or, you could also splice the switch somewhere in the positive to the output jack. The first way is easier though...

Damn, look what buckethead started, lol.

i learnt this the hard way (and from people on this forum) that just using a switch to cut the hot lead will make a popping noise when you click it off, the way to stop the popping is to wire it to the ground, "shorting" the circuit out and stopping that nasty popping noise.

• 1 month later...

-reviving old thread-

so i wanted to have a ''killswitch'' (i guess, i want an on/off button) for a single pickup no pots, just an input with a button next to it;

the way i have it wired (i dont have it in front of me) someone told me its eveloution (baby!)

its got a brown +yellow white and green, i have two of them on the lead of the input and the other two to the ground;

this alone makes the p.u. 'on' when the plug is in ; how do i go about the switch;

i like the idea of grounding it out, but how is it possible w/o any pots? (or is it?) i will have everything coppered with a ground from the bridge and was thinking id have to also get the input to the common; am i so far on the right track?

thank you

-reviving old thread-

so i wanted to have a ''killswitch'' (i guess, i want an on/off button) for a single pickup no pots, just an input with a button next to it;

the way i have it wired (i dont have it in front of me) someone told me its eveloution (baby!)

its got a brown +yellow white and green, i have two of them on the lead of the input and the other two to the ground;

this alone makes the p.u. 'on' when the plug is in ; how do i go about the switch;

i like the idea of grounding it out, but how is it possible w/o any pots? (or is it?) i will have everything coppered with a ground from the bridge and was thinking id have to also get the input to the common; am i so far on the right track?

thank you

The ground in the guitar comes from the jack - so the hot and the ground go from the jack to the switch and to the pickup as well. When the switch is closed it will short the hot to ground and the pickup signal as well as the input to the amp will be shunted to ground.