Random Question, Personalizing Your Guitar?

Kemp Williams

You can't get any more personal than this...my name is stamped into the wood inside the control cavity of every guitar I build. And I'm damn glad I do that. ya see my first project was stolen from my truck one day and if my name was not on it I would NEVER have seen it again.

• 2 weeks later...

i hate to give away my secrets but on the guitar I'm fooling around with, I took the on off/volume knob from a 60's TV my grandma was throwing out and now my guitar has an "on-pull up" and "off-push down" setup, and the volume still works.

I think I invented something. :D

i hate to give away my secrets but on the guitar I'm fooling around with, I took the on off/volume knob from a 60's TV my grandma was throwing out and now my guitar has an "on-pull up" and "off-push down" setup, and the volume still works.

I think I invented something. :D

you mean like a volume and kill switch all rolled into one?.....sweet...now just design it so you can bash it like Buckethead

It's just a dpdt switch attached to a potentiometer. You can do whatever you want with it that you could do with any other dpdt (ie on/on or on/off) switch. It's nothing new, unfortunately. Trust me, I'll be the first to commend you when you come up with some new and innovative idea.

peace,

russ

• 2 weeks later...

I just refinished my new guitar. I got it from this dude for $40 and spent about $80 on finishing supplies. It was a jet black, now it's trans green with a black burst. I left the headstock alone with a theory that Jacksons gotta be all black somewhere (except for the logo I guess). For a first timer, I think it came out really well. My next project will be my bass, I think it will be a little bit before I get to that though.

• 1 month later...

My first guitar, I painted (Black EvH over the origional sunburst, looked awesome), and my main axe now, I've taken a sharpie to the logo on the headstock, so it's now the same color as the body of my blood red guitar. I'm also planning on replacing at least one of the pickups and installing a Stetsbar trem system, which looks to be easy to install on my Epi LP.

• 2 months later...

Personally, I call them "Rat" guitars. I borrow the "Rat" term from a motorcycle magazine I used to read many moons ago. The last page of every issue featured a Rat Bike of the month award. Basically bikes that were customized by their owners to varying degrees. I mean VARYING degrees. Horns on the bars, pots and pans, anything goes. Pretty wierd stuff, but hey, it was the guys ride and he was proud of it.

Myself, this is my Rat Axe (nicknamed Stratotang);

100_0701.jpg

One mans garbage, another mans gold. '66 Mustang neck mated to a Mighty Mite mahogany Strat body. Got them in pices from a guy about 25 years ago in exchange for an old Goya (SUCKER). Dice on the switch, knobs from an old stereo, pickgaurd painted with gold automotive touchup paint by yours truly. I just let my imagination go. The little "high 5" hand was off a little plastic ring that my daughter got out of a vending machine when she was 10. Little piece of her in the creation, plus it covered up a screw hole just perfect. The finish is a custom "Mother of wear".

I've gotten some wierd looks from so called guitar "afficienados", but screw them, this is my mojo. In fact, this baby just oozes personality when you play her, and in my book, that's all that counts. She can produce sounds as only she can. She's better than any woman, friend, or family pet. Never lets me down, and when I'm down, always picks me up.

The long and the short of it is this; It's your baby, treat it as such. Taste is so personal, no one can judge... ever. Long live the Rat Guitar.

Maybe we can start a parallel GOTM contest for this catagory? :D

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

On my newest guitar, a Les Paul copy from the 80's, I changed pickups, tuners, bridge and tail peice and knobs, I am also working on wiring a "varitone" in place were the neck and bridge selector is and having one knob become the bridge and pickup selector

Curtis

One mans garbage, another mans gold. '66 Mustang neck mated to a Mighty Mite mahogany Strat body. Got them in pices from a guy about 25 years ago in exchange for an old Goya (SUCKER).

If that was a Goya as in the Hagstroms sold in the US, I wouldn't really call the guy a sucker...