Grain Filling And Sealing: How Much Will It Really Do?

slor

I'm currently prepping a '50s Magnatone for refinishing. As far as I know, the construction is alder and birch (top and back glued onto sides and blocks in-between.

My question is: At the edges of the top and back where they meet the sides, you can see the pores of the wood, and the texture is somewhat rough. Is this the kind of area you would treat by sanding, or are careful grain filling and numerous coats of sanding sealer going to do the work for me?

Thenk much,

Seth

Horn.jpg

I'm currently prepping a '50s Magnatone for refinishing. As far as I know, the construction is alder and birch (top and back glued onto sides and blocks in-between.

My question is: At the edges of the top and back where they meet the sides, you can see the pores of the wood, and the texture is somewhat rough. Is this the kind of area you would treat by sanding, or are careful grain filling and numerous coats of sanding sealer going to do the work for me?

Thenk much,

Seth

Horn.jpg

you dont need to grain fill alder. grain filling is for porus wood like mahogany. i would sand to shape, then a few coats of sanding sealer.