Wiring How To Please Help

dmbeveryday

ok i am putting together a tele it has a humbucker in the bridge and a factory neck single. i am using a push/pull tone pot and and a regular vol pot with a 3 way blade switch.

i want to wire it so the push/pull tone will run the humbucker in humbucker or single and controls the tone for both the bridge and neck. the vol pot will control the bridge and neck and the 3 way is neck/neck-bridge/bridge.

please help!!!! :D

Edited by dmbeveryday

will this give me tone control over both pickups

It does. But Id also suggest moving the wire that goes from tone to volume, to connect to the left volume pot lug instead of the centre one. That is the usual way and it gives more consistent tone control as volume is varied.

John

how would i do it without making loops

A ground loop is not possible in a passive guitar. Don't worry about it. It's an internet myth that comes up whenever someone grounds something twice. A ground loop is more than multiple grounds.

FWIW, I never ground pots in a tele, other than the output jack ground connection to the volume control.

A ground loop is not possible in a passive guitar. Don't worry about it. It's an internet myth that comes up whenever someone grounds something twice. A ground loop is more than multiple grounds.

FWIW, I never ground pots in a tele, other than the output jack ground connection to the volume control.

if so, then how do they add noise?

A ground loop (according to its real electrical definition) requires that two ground points are operating at some difference in potential (voltage), AND that there is some signal voltage (noise) developed across those two ground points, AND that there is some active device (tube/transistor) that can detect and amplify that signal voltage developed between the ground points.

All three conditions have to exist.

Despite the name, the definition of "ground loop" simply doesn't apply to multiple paths to ground from the same point in the circuit. There is absolutely no way for multiple paths to ground from the same point in the circuit to cause noise.

You can do an experiment to prove it. Take your guitar (a tele works best), plug it in. Now take a wire (a test lead with alligator clips is easier). Connect one end to the bridge (which is grounded) and the other end to the control plate (which is also grounded). You have just intentionally created an internet wisdom ground loop. There will be no difference in noise regardless if the wire is connected or disconnected between the two grounds.

Joe's right that ground loops are really not an issue in guitars. I have tried just the experiment he mentioned. However, it is possible that they could be with really high electric field interference. The basic idea of ground loops is this: metal parts in the guitar, pot podies, shields, etc., have small current flowing in them due to electric fields things using elecrical power. This is 60 Hz and harmonics. (In fact, shielding works because such currents are excited in the shield.) Small voltages develop across the metal parts, and these voltage are a potential source of hum and buzz. Careless wiring with multiple grounds can cause these voltages to appear in series with the pickup signal and so be potentially audible. Single point grounding is intended to prevent this from happening. It does not matter whether the amplifying device is in the guitar or the amplifier; what matters is how big the voltages are and how much they are eventually amplified. However, this is much more of a problem in amplfiers because they have a power supply: bigger currents flowing in the chassis making bigger voltages than in a guitar which is not so close to a power supply. In any case, ideally, the single point ground of the amp should include the guitar shields. That is, there should be a ground path to the guitar connected to the amp chassis (using the shield of the cable). The slider of the volume pot and the "low" side should both go on wires (inside the shield) to the input stage of the amp. In the real world, a single point ground inside the guitar just does not make that much difference, bit it costs little to do the wiring right just to be sure, and to establish good wiring habits.

A ground loop (according to its real electrical definition) requires that two ground points are operating at some difference in potential (voltage), AND that there is some signal voltage (noise) developed across those two ground points, AND that there is some active device (tube/transistor) that can detect and amplify that signal voltage developed between the ground points.

All three conditions have to exist.

Despite the name, the definition of "ground loop" simply doesn't apply to multiple paths to ground from the same point in the circuit. There is absolutely no way for multiple paths to ground from the same point in the circuit to cause noise.

You can do an experiment to prove it. Take your guitar (a tele works best), plug it in. Now take a wire (a test lead with alligator clips is easier). Connect one end to the bridge (which is grounded) and the other end to the control plate (which is also grounded). You have just intentionally created an internet wisdom ground loop. There will be no difference in noise regardless if the wire is connected or disconnected between the two grounds.