Explanatory Kubicki Factor Bass Headstock Pics?

Can someone explain how the Tuning Switch on the Kubicki Factor Bass Headstock works and its construction, illustrated with pictures of the Switch at the different positions?

Or is there a Site that explains the Function and Construction?

Edited by Metallion

Can someone explain how the Tuning Switch on the Kubicki Factor Bass Headstock works and its construction, illustrated with pictures of the Switch at the different positions?

Or is there a Site that explains the Function and Construction?

Scroll to the bottom of this page.

It's very simple, actually. The E-string has two extra frets behind the nut, and is actually tuned to D when it is open (unfretted). The switch frets the string on the second fret (which is the zero fret for the rest of the strings). With the switch engaged, the bass plays just like a normal 4-string in E-G tuning. Opening the switch gives you the low D and D#, but the rest of the notes on the E-string remain in the same place (ie: an A is still on the fifth fret). That's about it, really. I've never tried one, but I hear they're great basses.

• 1 month later...
Hipshot MAKES one... You can buy it and put it on any bass you want. It's called the d-tuner I think?

Chris

Yes, the reason behind the D-tuner is a more simplified method of what the Kubicki Factor was going for 20 years ago. Instead of extending the scale a fair amount past the nut and using a lever to change the tuning from E to D, you can use a standard scale and simply flip the D-tuner switch to change the tuning a whole step.

Here's a video of Stu Hamm playing one of the basses.