How Do You Keep The Dust Out Of The Finish?

I'm lucky to have access to spraying equipment and will be finishing my guitar soon. I was wondering what inexpensive spraying setups some of you have had success with. I've finished a couple of guitars with aerosol cans before and would up with lots of dust and/or bugs in the finish. I would really like to step it up with my current build.

I have a shed that I could use to keep the fumes out of the house, but it's dusty and full of cobwebs. I thought maybe I could staple some plastic sheeting up on the rafters and make walls and a floor out of the stuff too. Then perhaps get some HVAC filters and a cheap box fan to suck out the fumes. Woud this work well enough?

I've read about the dangers of motor blowups with flammable finishes and fans. What precautions should I take to avoid this?

Thanks for any tips you've got.

I shoot on the bench in the backyard. I just avoid shooting on windy days and make sure the project will always be in the shade. I like to spray the first few coats with the guitar hanging then lay it flat on the bench for the remainder. If the wind decides to pick up or the sun moves onto the work (too much heat buildup is not good) I'll place a large CLEAN cardboard box over the work.

Edited by Southpa

yeha i would do it out side for sure

i think there some way out using static currents or somthing to help as well .......not 100% sure though year 10 science is as far as it went for my in affraid

That would be by putting opposite currents through the paint and the body of the guitar IF it was metal. It would work if you gave the paint a negative charge as it came out of the can causing each drop of paint to repel the other spreading out more. But it would also require the guitar to be made of metal to attract the paint, and have a positive charge. I think I'm right?

I spray in the garage with a fan blowing in to make positive pressure so the fumes won't get to the motor and explode.

I open the garage door to the height of the fan, and then block the rest of the door opening with big pieces of cardboard. Then I open the normal door and prop it open for the fumes to go out.

Before spraying, I turn the fan on high to move any dust or anything else out. When I'm ready to spray, I turn it on low to keep the positive pressure in the garage but to ease spraying. As soon as I'm done spraying, I turn the fan back on high.

It worked pretty well.

i think there some way out using static currents or somthing to help as well .......not 100% sure though year 10 science is as far as it went for my in affraid

That would be by putting opposite currents through the paint and the body of the guitar IF it was metal. It would work if you gave the paint a negative charge as it came out of the can causing each drop of paint to repel the other spreading out more. But it would also require the guitar to be made of metal to attract the paint, and have a positive charge. I think I'm right?

What about a layer of conductive paint applied before the colour layer?

If you wanted to use this method, then yes. I'm not completely sure that the conductive layer would be needed though. Also, I'm not sure if the advantages are amazing: smooth first coat & paint conservation. If you want to do this, then the most important part would be running a current through the nozzle of the paint can. Also, would this not lead to an attraction by dust for the positively charged particles? All bits of dust have different charges.

If you wanted to use this method, then yes. I'm not completely sure that the conductive layer would be needed though. Also, I'm not sure if the advantages are amazing: smooth first coat & paint conservation. If you want to do this, then the most important part would be running a current through the nozzle of the paint can. Also, would this not lead to an attraction by dust for the positively charged particles? All bits of dust have different charges.

I think this is what you are looking for from alsa. Alsa

Only $6000.00. I think I would invest in some sandpaper and polishing compound first.

Edited by PaintIt

I don't wanna do it, just think out loud of ways to avoid having to build the guitar from metal

I haven't tried it yet, but I saw someone use one of these. The suspended that body inside and stuck just their arm and spray gun in through the flap, which was mostly closed. Then zipped it up between coats. Might work pretty well.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=b...asin=B000KHWGI2

Hehe. That's cool. So crazy, but I guess it would work. And for $20, if it gets messed up, who cares. Pitch it and buy another. I just may have to buy one, and try it.

I don't wanna do it, just think out loud of ways to avoid having to build the guitar from metal

i was orginally thingin of using stactic to keep the dust away