Pots

fidgec94

Both pots will sound identical at the full clockwise and full counter-clockwise positions. The difference is that the log pot will have more variation near the CW end of the pot's travel and less at the CCW end compared to the linear pot. In other words the mid-point of a log pot can be at 3/4 or more of its full travel. It will still work but you'll have less precision at the CW end of the travel but it probably won't matter once you get accustomed to it.

Both pots will sound identical at the full clockwise and full counter-clockwise positions. The difference is that the log pot will have more variation near the CW end of the pot's travel and less at the CCW end compared to the linear pot. In other words the mid-point of a log pot can be at 3/4 or more of its full travel. It will still work but you'll have less precision at the CW end of the travel but it probably won't matter once you get accustomed to it.
yeah, thats what i said! :D

It will only matter to someone who really uses the tone pot by feel (probably no one at all). Like it was mentioned above, it's the positions between 0 and 10 that will be off a bit from a linear at the same position.

How many of you actually use the tone pot? What kind of music do you play? I never use it. I play a fairly wide range of music but mostly hard rock (Led Zep, Satriani, Lynch,...). This is something that I have really been wondering about lately. If you do use it, what situations would cause you to make a change? Going from song to song, or only between clean and distorted?

With all of the cool things you can do with EQ and effects nowadays, I never really thought that people would pay much attention to the tone pot. Is it that it is more convenient to adjust it at the guitar rather than elsewhere or is there more to it?

I use a tone pot every now and then.

I'll use it as a quick fix to roll off too much high end for clean settings. Get's a fake jazz tone that's close enough.

I've also used it as an effect before. I'll use both the volume and tone pots to swell into a chord, or tweak the tone pot on notes to sound kind of like a wah.

Than again, I'm mental and no one would want to sound like me in the first place. :D

Leave it to the bass player to be different....I use my tone pot ALL the time. Blues and classic rock goes low for a mellow sound, rock, metal goes mid for more treb/punch and jazz goes high for a little more bite when I slap or pluck. But, like Jehle said "I'm mental" and what sounds good to me may be different for you.

From what I know a log pot adjusts output more in the way the human ear actually hears sound (more in the middle, less on either end). A linear pot is obviously linear across the whole range of the pot. Just what Saber and Whisky182 said.

I've used both and to be honest I just turn it until I get the sound I want so it doesn't much matter which you use. If you haven't used the tone pot much try it. Turn the amp volume low for a minute or two and try different positions on the pot while playing different songs. When I did play guitar (briefly) I found the more trebly sound to fit better with songs that you picked in (for example: GnR Patience, Green Day good Riddance, lots of Pink Floyd, etc) and the bass end sounded better in metal and distorted songs.

My 2 cents!

:D