neck angle

If I go bolt on + floyd rose, I *DON"T* need a neck angle as long as the fretboard and some of the neck is raised above the body?

IE: neck is 25.4mm thick-6of which is fretboard, at the neck/body joint.

If I route the pocket 19mm deep, 6.4mm will be "on top" of the body, w/ the floyd. I won't need to make any angles.

Yes?

I've read through Hiscock's section on neck angles, as well as searched the forum here.

But still a little (a lot) confused.

If in the future I want to build a neck thru w/ a tailpiece (string thru),

i'd have to adjust for some neck angle, right? Or recess the tailpiece into the body?

I asked a similar question a while back. A lot of guitars have something in the region of a 2 - 3mm gap at the body where the neck looks as if it's sitting out of the body. I must stress, 1 - 3mm of neck material, not including the finger board, this adds a bit more on as well. The neck can be practically level in this case because most floating bridges, like the Floyd Rose, can be lowered right down into their cavities. Due to the very way in which something like a Tune-o-matic is designed, to sit on top of the body, that no longer is the case.

Although... now I'm wondering if you could perhaps route a pocket and recess a fixed bridge into the body as well... :D

Guest AlexVDL

If you're going for a floyd rose without a recessed route, then you will need a neck angle. But if you're going to recess the floyd into the body then there are no problems.

I have made 3 guitars with necks parrallel to the body, and the floyd rose trems were just lowered further into the body.

:D

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Recessed hardtail...yes

Floyd neck angle...3-5 degrees.

Currently doing a recessed hardtail on my V to lower action. Didnt angle neck....made summer 1996...have improved since

Draw your guitar out in full size, as a side on view, and all will be revealed. This is the most accurate way of getting the fretboard vs body vs hardware layout.

Start with the body, then draw in the thickness of the fretboard and desired action at the body/neck join, then draw in the bridge (recessed if you want), and "join the dots"

If you're going for a floyd rose without a recessed route, then you will need a neck angle. But if you're going to recess the floyd into the body then there are no problems.

I have made 3 guitars with necks parrallel to the body, and the floyd rose trems were just lowered further into the body.

yeah the floyd will be recessed.

So..i dont need an angle?

yeah the floyd will be recessed.

So..i dont need an angle?

no you don't need an angle...just do like alex said ,that is the way the ibanez 42rgt is built.