Budget Pickups

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I am looking at Kent armstrong and others. I need a balanced PU, Humbucker, cheap, (i use SD, and am looking for an economy PU). I cant have a pickup that souds good distorted, but not clean. It has to be well potted. And It has to sound good straight thru the amp...sans effects. Not to mention 4 conductor. Am I asking too much

hilow new member, the smileys are cool, arn't they? And I would go with kent armstrongs.

Never tried the Armstrongs, but the Fender DH1 humbuckers that came in my Floyd Rose Strat were real nice. With the 5 way switch I was able to get a nice variety with both clean and distorted. I'm just not sure if you can purchase them seperately... :D

Thats about the cost of the SD's I use. I am looking for a pickup to use as an encomy pickup, for lower cost guitars. Are the duncan designed available? How about the duncan perfomer?

The only way to connect the 2 coils of the same 3-conductor pickup in parallel is out-of-phase. In other words, the guitar signal of one coil would pretty much cancel out the other while their noise would be added, which is exactly the opposite of what you would want. Depending on the pickup, it's sometimes possible to go under the tape and find the wire ends of each coil but it can be risky.

Connecting two 3-conductor pickups in series would also be a problem because you need at least one pickup whose shield is not connected to a coil lead.

Coil tapping is possible though.

• 2 weeks later...