Shellac Help!

mdw3332

I have a Strat that I finished using a couple of coats of clear shellac, and then several coats of shellac with color. These were all sprayed with my HVLP system. I then put on several coats of rattle can shellac and let it sit for a week or 10 days.

I took it to show the guy I'm building it for and put it in a pillow case for a couple of hours. When I took it out, every wrinkle in the pillow case was "embossed" into the finish. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Marty

I have a Strat that I finished using a couple of coats of clear shellac, and then several coats of shellac with color. These were all sprayed with my HVLP system. I then put on several coats of rattle can shellac and let it sit for a week or 10 days.

I took it to show the guy I'm building it for and put it in a pillow case for a couple of hours. When I took it out, every wrinkle in the pillow case was "embossed" into the finish. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Marty

What brand of shellac? Most likely Zinnser Bullseye (LOL) Most that is is a can is what they call 3 pound cut. It takes about a week per coat for this to gas off and harden. Also what was the temp and humidity? If the temp was above 70 and humidity above 50% add about a week for each coat with a 3 lb cut. I know what the can says! (Apply and when dry lightly sand and reapply usually a few hours) That's fine but it must still setup and gas off. Just like lacquer or other finishes. Shellac is notoriuos for the problem you describe. French polishing is done using shellac and done by burnishing while applying. The added heat from the process will even embellish the pad material if done wrong. My suggestion is to allow the guitar to sit in a cool, dry area for about 30 days. Let the finish stabilize then sand back and reapply. Then let sit another 30days in the same environment. Then you should be good to go. I would use a 1 pound cut when refinishing though and allow at least 3 days between coats only because of the existing problem. Hope this helps.

MK

Marty,

The shellac is probably too thick. When you french polish you apply micro thin coats in many layers. Each layer rubbed and burned into the previous coats. As you work the fresh shellac with the munica you partially melt and then flash off the solvent in a fraction of a second. You have to keep moving because this action of burning/applying(tiny amounts) and flashing off has to be done just right or you drag off the previous thin layers. Each building session applying shellac using the french polishing method applies a fraction of what spraying a coat of shellac would apply. Thin coats that are burned into each other will cure hard. The pressure applied will smooth that surface and make for smoother tighter layers. Have a look here-link . That is a great reference for french polishing.

Rich, what a great site that is - probably the best one for explaining French Polishing for the novice. Thanks. I think you may be right about the shellac going on too thick - I had cut the coats with color in them but then got lazy and used a rattle can for the clear coats.

Let me know if you get down to the Salem area, I still owe you lunch. You might want to hurry up and collect before any other of my body parts fail. I think you knew I broke my arm on Jan 2, and had my 5th surgery for that on June 18. I now need both knees replaced but they can't do anything until all the infection is cleared up from my arm. Golden years, my ass. :D

Thanks for the help and I hope all is good with you and the family.

That cute little Lab puppy we had is now a full fledged terrorist whacko.

7-25-07001.jpg

Oh man Marty, you are supporting the surgeons this year. I really need to catch up with you again. The fam and I made it down to see Danno not too long ago, and it was a great time. Hopefully I will wander down to Salem before too long.

Peace,Rich

P.S. The pup looks awful innocent in that pic. How could he possibly be a terrorist whacko :D

Rich and Greg, yeah she looks pretty innocent there, but it is a clever disguise. To date she has chewed up a pair of glasses, a phone, a clock radio and a watch. When she's feeling especially frisky, she will go pull up some rose bushes to bring in the house. She really likes water so she will drag the hose into the house and wait for someone to turn it on for her. And then she gives you that look in the picture and you just go clean up the carnage.

What brand of shellac? Most likely Zinnser Bullseye (LOL) Most that is is a can is what they call 3 pound cut. It takes about a week per coat for this to gas off and harden.

Man, I was wondering why my finish clouded up and looked horrible after applying the poly. :D