Old Style Floyd Rose Post Installation

I sure hope someone can help and as soon as possible as I've already wasted a week and a half trying to get this info. But PLEASE be sure your info is accurate!! I CAN'T mess this up!!! I'm trying to find out the size of the hole(s) I need to drill for the wood screw/old style (80's) Floyd bridge posts. Not the modern bushing/insert design but the old wood screws that go directly into the wood. I believe it involves two holes, one counterbored because it seems that the threads of the screw require one size and just under the head of the screw is a flat "collar" arear that looks to be a bit larger in diameter than the threads are. PLEASE...can anyone help with both the diameter and the depth of these holes? A step-by-step guide would be great, too. I've installed plenty of the bushing/insert type, but this is my first with the old style. Thanks!!!!!

I sure hope someone can help and as soon as possible as I've already wasted a week and a half trying to get this info. But PLEASE be sure your info is accurate!! I CAN'T mess this up!!! I'm trying to find out the size of the hole(s) I need to drill for the wood screw/old style (80's) Floyd bridge posts. Not the modern bushing/insert design but the old wood screws that go directly into the wood. I believe it involves two holes, one counterbored because it seems that the threads of the screw require one size and just under the head of the screw is a flat "collar" arear that looks to be a bit larger in diameter than the threads are. PLEASE...can anyone help with both the diameter and the depth of these holes? A step-by-step guide would be great, too. I've installed plenty of the bushing/insert type, but this is my first with the old style. Thanks!!!!!

bump

I don't know the answer, but couldn't you test it on random bits of wood before doing on the body?

As small as the increments in drill bit sizes are, it is possible that two sizes right next to each other will allow the screw to thread but only one would be the correct size and so I'd rather not risk using the wrong size. I was hoping tht someone would know for sure what sizes to use, rather than trying to guess...regardless of how "educated" the guess may be.

Last time I did it, it was 3/16" for the threads, 5/16" for the upper part. If you're not going to test on scrap, then go join Oprah's book club, and leave guitars alone. Don't even tell me you're not going to use a drill press.

wow...thanks soapbarstrat! As a brand new member to the board (but not new to guitar building), I feel so welcomed now!

wow...thanks soapbarstrat! As a brand new member to the board (but not new to guitar building), I feel so welcomed now!

No offense, but testing on scrap is how all of us figure out what we need to know. If you don't have scrap, take a caliper to your drill bits and the floyd rose pieces. This is how I figured out the correct size for the floyd rose posts. I measured with a caliper and then tested on scrap, then applied what I figured to the actual design. Trust me, it's far from a waste of time testing on scrap. Especially on things you're unsure of (like trying out an old floyd rose). Test on scrap first and you're that much more experienced the second time around.

i apologize for soapbar's actions (read: echo Them). ignore his words of wisdom, thEy're backed by merely hiS own experience (which you are admittedly lacking), nothing more. insTead, let me recommend that you do absolutely nO drilling or routing for hardware uNtil you have Said hardware in your possession, beCause doing anything else could potentially leave you with cavities and holes that don't fit your haRdware...which would leAve you feeling quite stuP!d.

EDIT: Jon beat me to it

Edited by thegarehanman