Do Old Acoustics Sound Bad?

I Don't know very much about acoustics, and someone said to me the other day that acoustics actually sound worse the older they get. This sounds rather strange, as the only thing I know can happen to old guitars is things like the neck warping etc. not the tone of the guitar getting worse with age. Does this statement have any truth behind it?

Wrong!

As a general rule they sound better due to a phenomenon known as sublimation...

As the spruce top is vibrated some of it's mass gets converted directly to gas (passing the liquid stage). This means the top becomes lighter the more the instrument is played, and as we all know stiffness to mass ratio of the soundboard is one of the most important elements of a guitar's sound

The guy deserves a swift punch to the neck for talking out of his ass.

Honestly, what I have read and come to an understanding is that the less moisture content = the less overall weight. Less moisture content would also equate to less sound dampening. But I don't know too much about acoustics, they definitely sound better over time.

Soundboards do potentially get better with age, then again necks bracing, back and side material, glue may all have some effect(who knows for sure). Of course there are issues that can plague an older acoustic and if they are not maintained they certainly can lose playability as well as sound. Many times poor bridge fixes used to lower action because of top or neck issues. Can lead to lower break angles or lowering the torque advantage at the bridge. All the usual suspects would still apply, proper fret maintenance, nut maintenance. Sometimes sloppy finsh fixes(sometimes layer after layer of finish are added over the years or in a "restoration" process. Most importantly, was the acoustic built to last. Many guitars are just not built well enough to last say 20 years much less 80-100+. These may have failing joints, cracking finishes(allowing for more significant moisture intrusion), spliting wood,sloppy tuning machines, poor materials for bridge and nut(lets say plastic) and so on and so forth.

Some instruments that were built pretty well, and have been maintained properly over the years. Are legendary for the sound they create. Most agree they probably sound better today than they did when they were brand new. Of all the guitars that have been mass produced over the years. These instruments are the rare exception certainly not the rule. If you encounter an aged acoustic. That has been cared for very well and sounds wonderful. Give it the attension and care it deserves, these things can out live all of us :D .

Peace,Rich

Playability is the issue, and it's even an issue with a good percentage of new acoustics. The playabilty often goes to hell over time. That acoustic that's been in the closet for 25 years and brought to your shop is like a little whole house rennovation project sitting there on your bench (quite often, anyway).

It's why I freak out everytime someone out of town wants me to do work on one. I go into more detail asking questions. Problem is, they often can't give answers.

Guitarist Steve Newman said to me he felt that his steel string guitars improved with age however his nylon string guitars lasted around 15 years then started to deteriorate. Steve's guitars are all mostly made by Mervyn Davis. Have a look at MervynDavis for some interesting concepts in acoustic guitars.

Keith