Thickness For Solid Wood Cavity Covers

You guys have been alot of help!

I would like to do a solid wood cover for a rear control cavity. How thick do you think it should be to keep it pretty stable? Should I put more finish on the cover or even finish it on all sides to help with stability? Thanks!!!

I normally make mine about 1/4" thick, maybe 3/16" if the wood is quite strong. That thickness is partially chosen because I need covers thick enough to house the magnets I use to affix them to the body. Also, yes, it would be a good idea to spray or wipe on a light coat of sealer just to make sure the cover doesn't warp due to climate changes.

peace,

russ

I normally make mine about 1/4" thick, maybe 3/16" if the wood is quite strong. That thickness is partially chosen because I need covers thick enough to house the magnets I use to affix them to the body. Also, yes, it would be a good idea to spray or wipe on a light coat of sealer just to make sure the cover doesn't warp due to climate changes.

peace,

russ

Magnets are a great idea! I hadn't thought of that.

I've currently got a guitar underway that's going to have wood cavity covers, but I'm of two minds here; I'm thinking I might want to go thin (like, 3mm total) by laminating (epoxy) copper or brass sheet between two thin veneers (1 to 1.5mm thick, headplate veneer thickness, say), which should make the whole thing more dimensionally stable (odd number of laminations, one non-warping one in the middle) while also providing (with a little facy jiggery) proper shielding for the cavity.

Thoughts? (and yes, I'm going with magnets, thin 2mm in the cover, taller ones in body. I thought of using steel as the center lam in the covers, but it's harder to process than copper or brass)

(this guitar, if anyone cares: http://www.xs4all.nl/~mvalente/guitarpics6/kelly/body01.jpg)

Edited by Mattia