Final Sanding Lubricants

It is about time for me to do the final sanding on my bass, but I have a question first. I plan on wet sanding up to 2000 grit, then using rubbing compound and polish and all that stuff. My question is about what lubricant to use while wet sanding. I have heard of people just using water to wet sand, Hiscock's book says to use soapy water, I heard of one person using only soap, and some people have claimed that oils are best. Are there any reasons to use or not use any of these as lubricants? I was planning on using water, would this be detrimental to the lacquer in any way? Any input would be appreciated as always.

I use hot soapy water; I wear latex gloves because all the wet sanding can dry out your hands pretty quickly. Use whatever you find works best for you, but whatever you do, don't use any lubricants or polishes that contain silicone. They will make your life very difficult should you every want to refinish the guitar.

it is possible for water to soak into the wood, through screw holes, and crack the finish.

+1

Absolutely... you have to be very careful to keep excess water away from any exposed wood (including 5-way switch slots!) or it can swell up on you... If you're lucky it will shrink back and you can sand out any wavy spots in the lacquer. If you're not so lucky it can crack the lacquer.

I got a little cavalier with the water and found out the hard way, even though I knew better. :D

You can use mineral spirits (with ventilation - and not with MicroMesh pads - it'll separate the mesh from the foam pad) but I'd go with straight H20 and a good dose of hyper-viligance. Avoid using any type of soap until you are sure you're done spraying lacquer coats.

Mike

I just wet sanded mine yesterday, and as with my first guitar, I used naptha as my wetting agent.

PROS

Won't split the wood, evaperates quickly, and clears the grit in the paper very well.

CONS

It's flamable, (think lighter fluid), and has a smell, and would dry your skin fast.

In conclusion, I don't smoke while using it, and I wear gloves. I'm making my second guitar now, used it on both, and it worked very well for me both times.

Thanks for the advice, I'll plan on wearing gloves. Any specific type of soap you use, garehanman? I would prefer not to use mineral spirits or naptha if if possible, although it seems some of you strongly reccomend that. Mikhailgtrski, so you recommend that I just use water, and keep the excess water away from the spots with bare wood? Also, if it matters, I used Deft to spray the body, and its been drying for a few weeks now.

Thanks for the advice, I'll plan on wearing gloves. Any specific type of soap you use, garehanman? I would prefer not to use mineral spirits or naptha if if possible, although it seems some of you strongly reccomend that. Mikhailgtrski, so you recommend that I just use water, and keep the excess water away from the spots with bare wood? Also, if it matters, I used Deft to spray the body, and its been drying for a few weeks now.

Water is fine as long as you are careful. I use a little Murphy's oil soap for final sanding. But avoid soap if there's any possibility that you might need to respray - not that you'd plan to, but if your finish is thin and you get too aggressive with the sandpaper it's easy to sand through.

I avoid ALL wet sanding until im ready to buff. Only then, do i get an icecream container half full of water, with about four drops of soap. The soap is a lubricant, and you only need a tiny amount.

I dip the sandpaper (use a block) in the water, give it a quick flick to remove the excess, and start sanding. 'wash' the paper in the watter every20 seconds or so. Wipe away excess water (on the body) with your hand.

Before you start buffing, or even a coat or two before you finish spraying, fill the pickup mount holes, etc, with wax. It will stop the water getting in there, AND make it easier to screw the screws in later.