Scraper Plane For Rosettes, Etc.

Ill bet a spokeshave could be modified, but its what it is. I read about this on 13th fret, (The one in Woodcrafters catalog was not on the must have list right now) so I got a near new condition just like this, for about $25.00

Just used it on my rosette, and yea, just like the guy on 13th fret, this thing is awsome! If you get one, make sure it has the origonal blade. It shapens like a plane blade, then like a scraper.

Its not cutting my top down as niceley, the blade demands perfection, but Ill get it there. Will not work with other scrapers really, you need the org blade. Must have tool unless you like to hand scrape "the hard way" or plane down rosettes. Not sure how it would work with pearl. The ends should be rounded a bit so you dont gouge the top.

This thing makes it steady and easy, and LEVEL! :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/STANLEY-SWEATHEART-NO-...1QQcmdZViewItem

a3fe_1_sbl.JPG

Edited by GoodWood

What does it do that one can't do with a regular scraper? Why is "hand scraping" the "hard way"? Just curious.

Looks to me like a scraper with handles. If you are just wanting an easier way to hold a scraper, there are a number of scraper handles on the marlet too. I guess the shorter blade might be handy on rosettes.

I don't find using my scrapers troublesome at all. Actually I like them for their simplicity and control. I have never made my hands tired using a scraper on a rosette(just not that much scraping). If you did want a wider edge to give you more even control you could pick up a handle like this-link or just make one(not much to them). I have a handle like this, but I very rarely use it because I prefer to adjust(as I work) the way I flex the scraper to control the cut.

If you have a wood rosette that is particularly high(hopefully not, but possibly shell also). You may have been facing more scraping than is needed and have found it troublesome and risky. You will be miles ahead of the game if you tighten your tolerance before installing(that certainly applies to bindings and purflings all over the guitar). Of course a few light passes with a drum sander can make even a high rosette little work at all with your scraper.

All that said, boy how can you go wrong collecting more tools :D . I know I have many hand tools that collect more dust than they make :D , but it is fun to collect all sorts of unique tools.

Peace,Rich

All that said, boy how can you go wrong collecting more tools :D . I know I have many hand tools that collect more dust than they make :D , but it is fun to collect all sorts of unique tools.

Peace,Rich

Agreed. My dad has a book case full of old wooden planes, 3' long jack planes, crown molding planes, everything you could think of. As far as I know, he's never used even one of them.

All that said, boy how can you go wrong collecting more tools B) . I know I have many hand tools that collect more dust than they make :D , but it is fun to collect all sorts of unique tools.

Peace,Rich

Agreed. My dad has a book case full of old wooden planes, 3' long jack planes, crown molding planes, everything you could think of. As far as I know, he's never used even one of them.

I probably am doing my rosetts too high. My first one was a nightmare, and this thing makes scraping easier, and more fun. I did try building some simple holders, but when I saw the price of these things, I just went for it. The blade is like a thin plane blade, then you add the scraper burnish. I need to flatten this baby out, and it will be used to fine tune the thickness on tops. Its a great tool because it saves my hands, and its near new. This tool will get used.

I am making tool boxes from wine crates (free) to easily and efficiently store all the tools in a limited space and easy access. :D

Edited by GoodWood

The difference is that you get a heftier scraper blade that can take a heavier cut that doesn't tear out (ie, still scraping). Lee Valley makes scraper holders and actual scraper planes, and they certainly have their place, particularly with rosettes (different thickness/hardness materials all being scraped), where a more flexible scraper could cause gouging, dips, etc (and even sanding can be a pain). A file actually works quite well if there's shell involved...