1/2" Diameter Pattern Router Bits ...

fyb

What would be a good bit for using with a template to cut out the body of an electric. I recently bought one of ebay the only one i could find in the uk, its an inch long so i need to make a few passes to cut deep enough problem on of the blades sticks out futher than the acutal bearing so as i move it down i get a stepping in the wood. what is the standard bit i need to cut from a template is there a source in the uk.

Cheers

Gav

What would be a good bit for using with a template to cut out the body of an electric. I recently bought one of ebay the only one i could find in the uk, its an inch long so i need to make a few passes to cut deep enough problem on of the blades sticks out futher than the acutal bearing so as i move it down i get a stepping in the wood. what is the standard bit i need to cut from a template is there a source in the uk.

Cheers

Gav

Axminster.co.uk carries CMT bits of all kinds, including some template bits if I'm not mistaken.

Personally, I just order from routerbits.com. Whiteside bits, all kinds of sizes, great quality, good prices. All my routers are either American (took them with me last time I visited the states, use a transformer) or have imperial collets. My current favourite template bit is actually a little 1/4" cutting depth, 3/4" diameter (or was it smaller? Whatever, smallers 1/4" shank bit routerbits.com carries). Take multiple small bits, but it's clean, elegant, and never overloads. Perfect for shallower things like pickup cavitieis and the like, and doesn't require absurdly massively thick templates.

Then again, I still get more use out of my 3/4" diameter, 1" cutting length template bits (I use a 1/2" shank wherever possible).

Cheers

Gav

If you cant find a long enough pattern bit switch to a laminate trimmer bit for the second pass. First flip over the body. Use the surface from the first pass from the pattern bit as a guide for the laminate trimmer; not the template. You dont have to remove the pattern at all especially if you will be using it to route other holes.

Make sure your guide bearing is well lubed, clean and freely turning so you dont burn a line around the side with a stiff dirty guide bearing. With a pattern bit your using the pattern as the bearing surface so having a perfectly clean and lubed bearing is not going to burn the body; but the results may be rough and take a toll on the pattern. All router guide bearings should be cleaned and lubed and checked before use.

Bottom line is you can use a shorter pattern bit and longer laminate trimmer bit which may be an easier and cheaper to find in your area.

One other option is a large straight bit and add a collar set with guide bearing.