Anyone Tried This Router Bit?

dawnofzion

Has anyone tried this bit from Lowes? It says that it is in stock at my local store so I might go get it since it si only $15

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

I am in need of a pattern bit and I'm on a tight budget. This would save me $10 bucks from stewmac.

Whenever I need a specific bit and need it quickly, I normally go to lowes as around me my only choices are that or home depot (that's right, they've deprived me of an authentic wood working store here in baton rouge!). Anyhow, I think I probably have 1 template bit from them, one spiral downcut bit, and one other that I can't remember. No problems so far and each has gotten a fair bit of use.

peace,

russ

You have to be carefull, I bought one and it had a small gap between the bearing and the cutters and templates like to get right in that gap and mess up your work! Incidentally, I had the same problem with a bit that I bought from stew mac. The first 2 I got from them were OK, and the 3rd one had the same gap as the Bosh. Just have to be a little extra carefull.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't ever have to buy router bits from Stew-Mac. There are plenty of outfits that carry what you need. The key, as mentioned is the quality of the bit. You are going to get what you paid for: the savings today might mean only getting one or two guitars out of it, or a ruined one. As suggested, the Bosch bits at Lowe's are very good and should be considered vs. the less expensive Ryobi or Skil bits. You can also buy from many good online places, the shipping of which is probably the same as the sales tax. Check some other hardware stores near you to see what they have. I got a pattern bit recently from woodcraft and am pretty happy with it. Good Luck in your decision.

I believe the first batch of bits I bought a while back was from MLCS Woodworking, which is this link:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc.../routerbit.html

I can't remember exactly, but I compared prices a lot at the time and found their prices very competitive. I've used all the bits I bought and they work great! I bought a solid carbide 7/32 down cut bit for routing for the hot rod truss rods and the thing cuts an amazing route, but I doubt I'll use those truss rods again, but I'll find plenty of uses for it and for $12-$14 I am not worried. I have a flush trim as well that works great, bearing is still working fine with a bit of use, all of them still very sharp. Great bits and they have some unqiues bits for sale. I get their catalog all the time and they have cool stuff sometimes.

I know I have heard a bunch of great stuff about whiteside, which is probably what I will try next time, just so I can compare, but I have no complaints on the MLCS bits, though I don't know how their prices compare now, it was a while back when I bought them. I made a point to buy decent bits because of the many problems that can occur when routing, its worth it to me buy decent bits. J