Looking For A Guitar Style That Is Versatile.

Hey yall,

I bought a book and commited to starting my first project, so I'm looking for a body style and guitar style to mimic for my first project. I play EVERYTHING, from Death metal, with a lot of gain, to a bluesy warm distorted tone, to clean, round jazz, and i need a guitar to look at that is as versatile as possible. If anyone has any suggestions, please tell me. And also, does anyone know a place online to find body measurments?

thanx much,

Kemp :D

a les paul? Stewmac carries full size plans for the'59. Also, check out guitarbuildingtemplates.com. However, be warned that I've heard of more than one person complaining that some of their templates were not exactly the same as the guitar they mimicked, so check the dimensions before building.

peace,

russ

I'll throw out a Soloist for a base design. I think a set of Seymour Duncans with a Jazz in the neck and a Custom Distortion in the bridge would work nicely. I like the way they both clean up for me, but can still drive heavily for the metal fans. The soloist was an attempt to get a Les Paulish sound with a smaller and lighter body. I personally think it is one of the more versatile designs. Maybe a little toying with the wiring and you can really get something versatile.

It is surprisingly easy to get a guitar w/ that kind of a range. Honestly, if you have a good clean sound, the amps (and whatever pedals) you might can do the heavy lifting as far as distorted sounds. You really can't go wrong w/ a pair of humbuckers. Get something a little bit hotter for the bridge and then something lower output and vintage sounding in the neck. Go w/ a Les Paul style 2 vol/2 tone setup and there you go: a world of sounds in one instrument. If you really want to go nuts, add some coil taps or some series/parallel switches and then you will have more than you know what to do w/.