Dependable Straight Edge For Routing?

fyb

I have an acrylic Stew Mac neck pocket routing template whose outer edges work pretty well as a straight edge when I need to do straight lines with my router. I was wondering if anyone knew of something similar but longer, perhaps 3' or 4' long. It would need to be thick enough to use with a piloted router bit and very straight. What do you suggest?

Factory edge on an MDF sheet is as close to dead straight as you'll find. Copy route that onto something harder (plywood), and you've got something dependable and straight. MDF itself can dent/compress a little too easily for my liking, so just using the factory edge itself every time isn't always the greatest idea. Just check with a straightedge, though.

Factory edge on an MDF sheet is as close to dead straight as you'll find. Copy route that onto something harder (plywood), and you've got something dependable and straight. MDF itself can dent/compress a little too easily for my liking, so just using the factory edge itself every time isn't always the greatest idea. Just check with a straightedge, though.

Extremely useful tip. Thanks a ton, Mattia!

CMA

I usually use the factory edge of MDF as a master, as Mattia mentions; however in a pinch, when I don't have any MDF available (I do my woodwork in a couple of places, either my parents' backyard or my apartment porch, and somehow it often turns out that what I need is in another location, or oops, I made something and used my last true edge in the woodpile ) I've used a long, heavy duty steel straight edge. I don't like the idea of the router bit running so close to the steel edge of course, and it's a bit too thin to use with bearing anyway, but I clamp it a ways away, and clamp the edge guide that came with DeWalt router to ride on the straight edge and transfer the true edge to another piece of wood.