Cigar Box Mandolin

yesterday I started this small project. a cigar box mandolin. All the woods are stuff that was going to the trash, leftovers from a brazilian rosewood fingerboard, a piece of mahogany with some crazy grain and to get the cigar box I had to buy the last cigar that was inside (and I don't smoke :D )

got a lot done in just one day. but there's lot of work to be done.

let me know what you guys think.

cigarboxmando.jpg

Edited by Hector

Isn't that more of a cigar box Ukelele? Mandolins typically have eight strings.

In that case, this is a cigar box half mando.

or a cigar box something. :D

the next one will have 8 strings.

this one is inspired by fred carlson's dreadnautilus.

it's the mandonautilus. lol

DSC_1018.jpg

BTW the neck block is so huge because it's gonna be a bolt on (strat, taylor baby, style, not the acoustic way). and I will remove more wood once I get the thing routed for the neck.

Edited by Hector

Very cool! I play a little mandolin, but the one I had on loan is gone. That dreadnautilus "shell" shape is extra-cool but at the same time a relatively basic bend. The one under discussion in the thread, the cigar box Uke/Mando is well cool, too. How does one source a cigar box like that? Did you tell the store owner that you'd like the box and he said, "only if you buy the last cigar"?

Greg

Did you tell the store owner that you'd like the box and he said, "only if you buy the last cigar"?

Greg

yes! that's the only way the guy lets you keep the box.

to keep the box you must buy all the cigars that are inside.

I just got lucky with that one because it only had one cigar left. and the sides of the box are made of solid mahogany. very cool.

again, sorry about my poor english, english is not my native language.

Cool. I'll have to ask at one of the local stores. There's a magazine shop nearby, and I think they do cigars, as well.

I don't speak portuguese, but if you happen to know Spanish, that would be a common language for us. In any event, your English is fine. :D

By the way, Hector, I wasn't trying to say you were wrong. I think the cigar box Uke/Mando looks really neat and was just a little confused when I only saw four tuning pegs. I like that we're seeing something other than the standard guitar or bass.

thanks n3rrd, I didn't think you were harsh on your comment, and I understand your confusion, mandos DO have 8 strings and this one doesn't.

BTW, what's the standand tuning for the uke?

here's a pic of my unusual projects all together. the lap steel is almost done, I had to put it on hold cause I had lots of other things going on, and lots of bills to pay. but it's gonna be done next week I guess.

DSC_1034.jpg

thanks for all the replies.

>snip< oh, and a bottle of 18 year old single malt >snip<

MacAllan or maybe better still, Bowmore??? Glenfiddich rum or port finish, maybe??? Ahh, Single malts the real deal!!! LOL:))) Good call Wes!!!

Oh and the cigar box mandy looks great!!!

MK

Edited by MiKro

i may have been being a bit greedy asking for 18 yr old single malt but if you are going to be cheeky you might as well make it worth it!!!

10 years will do fine, my favorite at the moment is laphroaig... peaty - smells like antiseptic but somehow perfect!! and it goes perfectly with a nice cigar :D

not tried macallan, really, really like bowmore but generally avoid glenfiddich because i find it a little sweet so i havnt tried all the varieties!

i may have been being a bit greedy asking for 18 yr old single malt but if you are going to be cheeky you might as well make it worth it!!!

10 years will do fine, my favorite at the moment is laphroaig... peaty - smells like antiseptic but somehow perfect!! and it goes perfectly with a nice cigar :D

not tried macallan, really, really like bowmore but generally avoid glenfiddich because i find it a little sweet so i havnt tried all the varieties!

No I would have asked for a 21 year old depending on the brand. Funny cause I agree with you on the Glenfiddich. Not usually my choice. My Daugther bought me a bottle of of GF rum finish. Man It was great!!!!! I have now tried there port finish as well and it is very nice. LPG is very nice and I like the peaty taste. Where the Bowmore seems to be bit more smokey and While I like it, it is not my favorite. I havn't tried the 40 year old Bowmore yet ,as the only place I can find it is at Papa's Brother's Steak house and they want $345.00 for a shot. I just can't justify that. LOL:))) Glenmorenge (spelling)is also resonabley priced and has some wonderful finishes as well as just good malt. The Macallan cask strength is very good at 127 proof but really needs to be cut with Distilled water to enjoy the flavor without the burn. I keep at least 3 different ones in stock at home for my needs. LOL:)))

Sometime maybe we can meet somewhere in the world and enjoy a GOOD drink.

MIke