Dimebucker... Is It Worth The Hype?

Kramers Rule

Yea that's really garbage how they're using his name to sell they're products. Dean might be sincere in honoring him they are releasing a lot of his stuff it seems, but hey who knows? But that guy at Bill Lawrence USA really doesn't seem to show any respect with that photoshopped pic and he just gets under my skin. Once again I'm sorry if I jumped down your throat there.

Yea that's really garbage how they're using his name to sell they're products. Dean might be sincere in honoring him they are releasing a lot of his stuff it seems, but hey who knows? But that guy at Bill Lawrence USA really doesn't seem to show any respect with that photoshopped pic and he just gets under my skin. Once again I'm sorry if I jumped down your throat there.

I've just taken a look at his site and it's pretty awful, especially the digital photos which are really blocky. He needs a good web designer to make it look professional.

Apart from that I have to agree the the photoshopped image and the constant Darrell references are tacky too.

There's a lot of paid marketing hype surrounding high output pickups and not enough time and effort put into making nice-sounding ones, despite the premium price paid for "brand names" such as SD, DiMarzio etc. The Dimebucker doesn't have a very good voice and is inferior in terms of sound.

To answer the original question - no, it's not worth the hype as it easily makes a great guitar sound crap. I agree on the Breed/Evolution pickup comments. Nice gear. Invaders are a little too tubby and loose sounding.

I would rather just wind my own pickups though, if you do your research then you will find out how to make pickups to fit your tonal specifications. Say you want a 50's Strat sound, wind a single coil pickup at least 7900 times, the more winding you do though the fatter the sound will be. If you are looking for a nice clean tone ala Eric Johnson or Albert Lee then you would want it wound to the minimum of 7900, but the more wire on it the fatter the tone.

Dimebuckers SUCK. They are one of the only pickups ive fitted for guys, who then turn around and replace them within a few weeks because they dont like them. The only pickup worse, is the Invader.

+1 on both the Dimebucker and the Invader.

Remember kids, you have to take your amp into account when deciding on pickup choices. Hot pickups into a high gain amp is usually a first class ticket to Bad Tone Land with a possible layover in Mudville.