PRS copy with Dimarzio electronics

ovation22

I'm new to this forum, so be gentle...

I'm building a PRS copy with an all maple body, padouk and rosewood neck, and Dimarzio Air Norton and Tone Zone pickups. I'm wondering about the wiring. I'll be using one volume and the pickup selector and will have an additional choice. The hole is there for the tone control, but I've never been one to touch the tone knob on any of my guitars. Should I wire the pickups with the tone wide open? Then what options should I look at for the additional control? Coil tap? Maybe some kind of EMG/David Gilmour EQ or presence thing?

Also, I've chosen (but not purchased) the Dimarzio pickups because of the described tone. I'm not much on piercing trebble and want to cancel some of the trebble that I'll naturally get from the maple body. Any thoughts/suggestions on pickups would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Well, I'm not gonna be much help with the pickup/wiring questions, but i'll offer a bit about the tone control issue. I'd expect your guitar to be very bright. The maple body is part of it, but the padouk neck should be bright as well. If it were me, I'd want a tone pot.

As to the choice in pickups, that's never an easy question to answer because of all the variables involved including personal tastes, amp, effect.

As for the tone control, I don't use one because I use EQ in my rack for that. As a test you could try wiring it with only a volume control, and decide then if it needs a tone control. I'm not familiar with the details of the Clapton circuit but in the link that you gave it specifies a 0-18dB boost but doesn't mention if you can choose what frequency band you're boosting. At least the EMG-VMC allows you to choose the center frequency and whether you want to cut or boost it by 12dB. And by setting it at 3000Hz and cutting 12dB it would more or less do what a tone control does. The only other thing you have to consider is whether you mind having a battery in your guitar.

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking for bright, but not piercing, with some punch to it. I'm on a Van Halen kick right now and really like the tone he gets from the Music Man/Peavey/Wolfgangs. I think I may try to call EMG this evening (never tried to contact them before, but heard they're pretty informative) and see if they have any suggestions. I may either wire it straight or with a standard tone control to see what I hear before spending even more money.