Help With Router Bits

thestumble

Hi guys

As i said on a previous post i am currently getting myself tooled up for my first build

I am looking at purchasing a router which is quite straight forward, however i am stuck regarding what router bits to buy

My first job will be to create my templates using a template trimmer? (from the build your own guitar book) but i cannot find where to purchase one

Can anyone recommend a kit ? of where i might be able to purchase what my family refer to a side and face cutter?

thanks in advance

Dan

I'm not sure what you mean by a template trimmer, but here is a nice set of template bits to start out with.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/h5566

The 'template trimmer' as described in the book build your own electric guitar looks like what you have described

Its the 'bit' used to route out control cavities and pickup routes etc using your template as a guide

thanks in advance

Dan

I would add one bit of advice - buy the best router bits you can afford. They will last longer and cut better and are safer. I have heard stories of cheap bits flying apart under speed and pressure - they then become very sharp bullets.

I am also going to take some of my well used ones to a local shop for sharpening. I talked to them and I think the price was either $3 or $6 each.