Some 2 Post Trem Questions...

Looking at this page on Warmoth...

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/opti...dge_routing.cfm

Is it possible that the 2 posts for Fender American Std and Wilkinson trems can be installed in a 6 hole Strat body by simply drilling out the outter 2 (of 6) holes to .375" ???

Also, are the pivot areas on the Fender Amer Std made of hardend steel? (all the other trems like Floyd and Wilkinson seem to claim this, but I've never seen it for the Fenders)

Edited by Cherryburst

Looking at this page on Warmoth...

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/options/opti...dge_routing.cfm

Is it possible that the 2 posts for Fender American Std and Wilkinson trems can be installed in a 6 hole Strat body by simply drilling out the outter 2 (of 6) holes to .375" ???

Also, are the pivot areas on the Fender Amer Std made of hardend steel? (all the other trems like Floyd and Wilkinson seem to claim this, but I've never seen it for the Fenders)

The Fender trems are NOT made of hardened steel like a Floyd. They hold up fairly well for moderate use, but can not handle the same abuse as a Floyd. That is why they had six screws to start with -- to spread out some of the load.

As for the stud spacing, it looks to me like they are not the same (but I make no guarantees). But you could always plug the existing holes and then redrill holes for the posts.

Edited by ryanb

Well that warmoth page says they're all 2.2". This is very, very close to the 2 7/32" e-to-e string spacing on the Vintage fender trem (2 7/32" = 2.19") - considering the saddles line up with the screw holes. I was hoping 2.2" was a defacto "standard" for 2 post trems, and they could be put on the outter holes of any 6 hole body.

Also... if the Fender is NOT hardened steel, might a trem plate made of un-hardened steel with 6 floating style indentations be made to float on 6 of those posts? Hmmmm.

It is possible that the post holes do line up. I don't have a vintage Fender trem here to measure. But the two-post Fender trems I have here are not that close to matching the outer screw holes on the Ibanez 6-screw strat-style trem I do have sitting here.

If you drill the post holes with a drill press, they wouldn't have to be centered on the existing screw hole, and you could probably make it work. But even without that (as I mentioned before) it is easy to plug the existing holes first and then drill the new ones anywhere you want. Those holes won't stop you.