Opinions On Design

Geo

It's time for me to push myself into a more challenging project. This design is an angled set-neck, semi-hollow (rather, hollow solidbody) with Lollar P-90's. Here's a shot of the plan. NOTE: on the plan, the bridge is parallel with the nut. I guess I wasn't centered with the camera. So, try to mentally adjust the shape for this distortion. :D

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q119/Ge...ihollowplan.jpg

Any opinions are welcome. In particular, I'm wondering about the headstock. 1) too large? 2) too sharp of an angle for the thin E string?

The idea is that the whole guitar will be hollowed out except for a block under the bridge, and the area around the neck pocket.

Color schemes... this will have a maple burl top (I think), mahogany body, maple neck. I would like to use a bloodwood fingerboard and headplate. In this configuration, I think it would look cool with completely natural color. Please share other ideas. This will be finished with an oil-type finish, so spraying isn't an option. Any colors would be manually-applied dye.

Some specs: 25.25" scale, 2 3/8" body thickness (before carving), 3 3/4" headstock width. Neck tenon: 60mm L, 42mm W, 49mm D.

It's time for me to push myself into a more challenging project. This design is an angled set-neck, semi-hollow (rather, hollow solidbody) with Lollar P-90's. Here's a shot of the plan. NOTE: on the plan, the bridge is parallel with the nut. I guess I wasn't centered with the camera. So, try to mentally adjust the shape for this distortion. :D

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q119/Ge...ihollowplan.jpg

Any opinions are welcome. In particular, I'm wondering about the headstock. 1) too large? 2) too sharp of an angle for the thin E string?

The idea is that the whole guitar will be hollowed out except for a block under the bridge, and the area around the neck pocket.

Color schemes... this will have a maple burl top (I think), mahogany body, maple neck. I would like to use a bloodwood fingerboard and headplate. In this configuration, I think it would look cool with completely natural color. Please share other ideas. This will be finished with an oil-type finish, so spraying isn't an option. Any colors would be manually-applied dye.

Some specs: 25.25" scale, 2 3/8" body thickness (before carving), 3 3/4" headstock width. Neck tenon: 60mm L, 42mm W, 49mm D.

That guitar is looking very cool. I agree that it will look best in a natural finish, semi-hollows and hollowbody always look better with natural finishes in my opinion. (Except for the Gretsch White Falcon and the Bono Irish Falcon, because those are special. =) )

All of those wood selections sound great too.

What are your opinions on Lollar P-90s? I'm thinking of using them for the build I'm planning right now.

Hey, thanks for the input. I'm definitely thinking a natural finish would be best, but I'd still like to hear if anyone has any other ideas.

I haven't tried Lollar P90's. However, in reading reviews, the reviewers seemed to have similar tastes and "ears" to me. The pickups were compared to others, including Fralin, and generally people liked the Lollars better. I'm sure they won't sound bad. :D

the high e string does look a bit too sharp of an angle, you could move all the high note tuners in a bit and straighten them all out a bit. might change the look of the headstock a bit though.

Yeah, I think I will adjust it. However, I want to keep the offset tuners. "Offset-ness" is sort of a theme of the guitar.

I agree, the high e string angle looks a little sharp - also, that tuner look a bit low on the headstock; although it's hard to tell from a drawing. Make sure you consider the size of the back of your tuner as well so you can screw in screw and have everything fit on the back of the headstock. Even if the tuners fit, it feels a little awkward with the placement you have, although seeing the knobs coming out the side may change that.

I usually print out the tuner diagrams from StewMac and size them appropriately with a photocopier. Then I cut them out and use them whilst designing the headstocks.

But I love the body shape. It's well done. The headstock has a good concept going, but I'd like to see the lines refined a little bit more.

the high e string does look a bit too sharp of an angle, you could move all the high note tuners in a bit and straighten them all out a bit. might change the look of the headstock a bit though.

Yeah, I think I will adjust it. However, I want to keep the offset tuners. "Offset-ness" is sort of a theme of the guitar.

i know what you mean about the offsetness, the solidbody im just about to finish has the same idea.

Thanks for the advice, guys. As I think about it, I think the shape of the headstock just below the thin E tuner might get in the way of playing a chord on the 1st or 2nd fret. I will scoot the whole headstock design up a little bit.

Yeah, offsetness is cool. It may be hard to tell from the drawing, but this guitar's body is "unbalanced". The bass side goes out 7" from the centerline, while the treble side goes out 6.5". I did something similar with a bass I just built, and I love it.