How To Know If A Trussrod Is Broken?

well.... got myself a new strat neck... put it on, tried to adjust the rod to the tension.... turned it counterclockwise n clockwise... somehow doesn't do a thing.... it moves pretty easy... can this happen from... rod.... to rod???

what can I do?

EDIT:

OH OH OH!!! wait wait.... it works...!

no. just kidding. it doesn't. if I stick the allen... maybe I should tell you, that it is one with a headstock access... so if I stick the allen wrench in n wiggle around it moves, wobbles kind of, seem like it's slipped off something.... so -> what to do?

Edited by TheCross

Sure you have the right size allen wrench?

After that....

The headstock access strats frequently have saw dust stuck in the hole- Especially the American ones with the walnut plug.... sometimes the mex ones with black plastic, but not so much....

place the allen in the hole, and smack it a little with a hammer to force it into the allen head bolt. Once firmly seated- then try turning it.

Fenders don't get broken rods all that frequently because the flimsy flatsawn necks are pretty easy to adjust.

I disagree.

If it's MIA with walnut plug.... you can tighten it until it's so tight you cant move it anymore... When you back it off- loosen, it will eventually get into an area of freeplay- it will turn easily in either direction. Once you get to that point, if you keep loosening, it will get resistance again... and if you force it more, you risk popping out the walnut plug- Sounds like the voice of experience doesnt it?!?! There are no "as far as it will go" limits other than popping out the walnut loosening, or tightening it as much as you can until you can't budge it anymore.

If you have the allen wrench properly seated, and it turns easily in either direction, you are at the neutral point on the rod-

I disagree.

If it's MIA with walnut plug.... you can tighten it until it's so tight you cant move it anymore... When you back it off- loosen, it will eventually get into an area of freeplay- it will turn easily in either direction. Once you get to that point, if you keep loosening, it will get resistance again... and if you force it more, you risk popping out the walnut plug- Sounds like the voice of experience doesnt it?!?! There are no "as far as it will go" limits other than popping out the walnut loosening, or tightening it as much as you can until you can't budge it anymore.

If you have the allen wrench properly seated, and it turns easily in either direction, you are at the neutral point on the rod-

well i have never used them on these type of guitars with the plugs. on some of my jacksons and on bc rich i worked on if you loostened it too much, it just unscrewed the nut and it diddnt do anything after that.

MIM strats are that way- So are the "bullet" style 60's or 70's era, and headstock adjust basses too. The nut will come off if you keep unscrewing. The modern style MIA with walnut is different.

It just depends on what style of neck this guy has.

If you think it's your wrench just not grabbing the walls of the adjustment nut, you might have to get a wrench a size larger, then grind a taper on the end to get it to make a snug fit. StewMac actually makes a customized tapered end allen wrench like this now. I like it when they "re-visit" a tool and make tweaks like that.

MIA with walnut, the neutral spot can be a couple of turns, then you should feel it snug up... All the other styles of fenders, when tightening, you should feel them snug up.

Since you have the option of returning it, I'd agree.