Cnc Cut Semi-hollow Design

Here's the latest body off my CNC machine..it's a Semi-Hollow Singlecutaway design with the F-Hole designed to mimic the grain pattern. The body has a 2 degree taper between the top and the back and it has a nice rounded carve transitioning from the top to the sides. Oh yeah...the back is a single piece of Mahogany and the top is Black Walnut.

Let me know what you think..here's a pic of the body with the top wet down...

schbskew.jpg

Thanks for the compliments!

I cut it on my CNC - I have one of the K2 Machines. I did all the design & surfacing work using Rhino & ran my toolpaths with RhinoCAM.

I didn't have any bookmatched wood laying around...and I thought it looked cool having the pieces flipped (the top wood pieces are sections from the same board)...the swirl on the top opposing the swirl on the bottom, etc.

I was going to go with much more standard F-holes and did this one on a whim. I've seen some other f-holes done per the grain lines..and this is my first go at doing it with the CNC.

I for one think it looks great non-bookmatched. Also, nice idea with the F-hole! If the controls follow the grain pattern to a certain degree, the organic...ness... will be further enhanced. :D

Nifty body. I like bookmatched and slip matched. If the grain is cool looking it works(well unless you are talking about a functional plate or soundboard, then I have a little different preference). Looks like you are getting some good use out of your machine.

Peace,Rich

Yeah...it's cool stuff. I'm looking to start running a lot more stuff soon. The wife tells me I have to actually make money...apparently I promised something along those lines at one point...

:D

Nifty body. I like bookmatched and slip matched. If the grain is cool looking it works(well unless you are talking about a functional plate or soundboard, then I have a little different preference). Looks like you are getting some good use out of your machine.

Peace,Rich

Yeah...it's cool stuff. I'm looking to start running a lot more stuff soon. The wife tells me I have to actually make money...apparently I promised something along those lines at one point...

:D

Make some nifty jigs, sanding dishes, molds, templates and such. Then sell them for a reasonable price. :D

I can think of a few things I would like to not make myself(like sanding dishes), but everyone that makes an acoustic should have them (much better to build with than without).

Peace,Rich