Help Me Choose A Finish

OK. I have two questions for all the finish gurus here.

I am making my first solo project which will be an Ash bodied guitar for my son. And I want to finish it in some sort of reddish burst. More like a cherry burst or so, but I have no idea on how to go with filling the grain and what technique would be best. I thought of dying the body, but Ash is so porous that I have no idea if it would work.

The body is slowly taking shape as I work on it in my free time from the shop and I am doing it all by hand with surforms and such.

Here is a pic of it:

steviespecialroundvp4.th.jpg

My other question is: I am slowly buying stock for my next project which will hopefully start by Christmas or so. I bought this beautiful Poplar top today and was wondering what would be the best way to go about finishing it. I want it to be finished in a soft honey tone over a reddish mahogany semi-hollow body, The problem is that it has a few deep holes in the surface around the knots from the roots and stuff. How do I fill these? and what would you do with it if it was to be placed on your guitar? I might find suggestions interesting for my own project.

A pic of the top;

chopo1bd6.th.jpg

Thanks for any help/suggestions :D

Germ

Edited by GermanFafian