Wolfgang Shape

Jimboh

I haven't seen any such things in my travels. Your best bet is to Google for a straight-on image, then scale it to size using known measurements (for example, 25.5" from the nut to the bridge, or 12.25" from 12th fret to nut) in a program like Photoshop. Much quicker to get cracking on that strategy than to wait for plans to appear. Of course, the next replyer to the thread could prove me wrong. :D

Since it's a self-made guitar, you can get "pretty danged close" without being to the millimetre and still be proud of it, no?

:D

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing... does anyone know how thick the bookmatched figured maple is on a wolfgang special?... which i think is the flat one... not to sure though. Im thinking it would be 1/4" but i might be wrong, and i wanna make mine as close to the real one as possible. If anyone can help me out that would be Awsome.

Ok, I'm going to post this everytime someone asks for a blueprint :D

The simplest way:

Find a picture on google, an exact front shot, and as big as possible.

1. Import it into any cad program or coreldraw.

2. trace all the lines and outlines you need (always draw the 12th fret and nut as reference points).

3. measure the distance from nut to 12th fret in the drawing (because of different positioned bridge saddles and compensations I'd rather not measure from nut to bridge, not accurate).

4. full scale length is from nut to bridge, from nut to 12th fret is half, so 0.5 times 25.5" (for other scales check the manufacturers website), now calculate the scale factor.

5. rescale the drawing and you can print (or plot) it in 1:1 scale

For people who have trouble with maths:

Scale factor calculation example 1:

I always use metric scale, because 1" is less precise as 25,4mm.

From nut to 12th fret in drawing is 543 units --> real scale 0.5 x 647.7(25.4x25.5") = 323.85mm

scale factor -->323.85 / 543 = 0,59640883977900552486187845303867

The scale factor is less then 1, because the drawing distance was bigger then the real distance, so the calculation is good

Example 2:

From nut to 12th fret in drawing is 83 units --> real scale = 323.85mm

scale factor --> 323.85 / 83 = 3,9018072289156626506024096385542

So the drawing should be almost 4 times bigger to get it 1:1 scale

When I can't find a real plan or real guitar I can get the measurements from, I always use this method... but for outlines and for positioning pickups and knobs only. As for neck pockets and pickup routes I use the real measurements I find on the internet, so I draw these after I scaled the drawing to 1:1 size.

Also this method is only cool for building from scratch, not for accurate replacement parts!!! For instance, if you have a les paul drawing with an exact front shot, you can't see the neck angle, but it's there. The nut is positioned a bit backwards, so measuring from nut to 12th fret won't be very accurate, but good enough for it to look like a les paul, not prs single cut

For pickups size you can check the seymour duncan site. For bridges and other parts you can use the warmoth website, and there are others too, just use google. You can also use parts from drawings in the download section. If you need a humbucker route or a tremolo spring back route or control cavity etc, just copy it from the drawings and paste it into your own drawing.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I wonder if you could use virtual guars with your method. http://www.nymphusa.com/kisekae/kisekaeE1.asp

Edited by cajunboy2k