Wood Filler For Side Dots?

Xanthus

Hey all, I had a quick question. Has anyone ever used wood filler/putty for side dots? I've got some very light colored putty that I was thinking of using for my rosewood board. I just don't know whether it will crack/dry out over time. Has anyone used this method before? I wonder if it would be worthwhile to clear over them afterwards, just to be sure.

Yeah, that's what I figured in the back of my mind, wood putty wasn't made to weather over time.

As for the reasons, they're discussed in the thread in my signature, but the dots I ordered off of Ebay came in the wrong size and stupid me had already drilled the holes. I'm not going to make a stink over a $3 baggie of plastic, so I was looking for alternatives. I'll probably get some dowels or thin rods and fill them in. I hear people saying they use toothpicks too. I dunno, whatever I pick, it'll be real wood.

I made side dots in a jiffy once when I did the same thing you did. I filled the holes with baking soda, and then dripped the super-thin CA glue onto it. Took more than one application where the holes where a little extra deep. Scraped 'em off with a razor and they look fine, and they're still holding up (under finish) a couple years later. Not as white as real plastic ones, they've got a slightly milky colour and sort of almost translucent thing going on that looks nice. They certainly don't look like I cheaped out or anything, at least.