Odd Response From Gibson Faded Lp Double Cutaway

BillyB

I just bought a new Gibson Faded Les Paul Double Cutaway and am trying to figure out why it behaves as it does.

It sounds as though it has a mute on the strings...the attack is deadened, but the guitar seems to sustain well enough. It's an all Mahogany instrument, set neck, Kluson style tuners, P-90s, a tune-o-matic bridge and stop tailpiece.

I really want to love this guitar as it's the closest I found to the heavily modified '60 Les Paul Jr. that I owned in the late '70s. If the deadened feel is typical (and the other Faded Double Cut that was on the sales floor had a similar behavior) then it's going back.

Both guitars need to be set up though, so I'm wondering if that has much to do with it...and reading the Harmony-Central reviews they all seem to need an adjustment to the nut to lower the string height at the headstock end of the instrument.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

The pickups could be raised too close to the strings, meaning too much magnetic string pull.

That's a theory worth looking into, for sure.

Another one: is the action too low? You talk about lowering the nut being a common recommendation, and that's not usually part of a "too-low" tone equation, but it's worth asking I guess. Usually you can hear strings fretting out, but in some cases the contact is very slight.