Anyone Use Any Ambrosia Maple?

MiKro

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has ever used ambrosia maple for a top or whatever?

I just picked up 100+ bdft and will have a lot of waste that will most likely be useable to someone. I should end up with some nice 2ft offcuts that can be resawn for tops. I have a staircase project to do. :D

MK

ambmpl.jpg

As much as i hate working with spalt and bug induced problems i just cant resist sayong its completely worthless and you should send it all to me

really i suppose its more love/hate rather than just hate

Well Wez, something tells me that because of the bug infestation, those darn ambrosia buggers, they might frown on me for shipping it to you in the UK. So since it's no good I guess I'll burn it all in the fireplace :D

MK

Very sweet. I'll gladly pay full price for a single off-cut you get, same with the other maples!

No Problem Jon all you have to do is bring some Que!!! :D BTW I missed getting a piece that was 16in wide was the amber ambrosia. Man was it nice! Had I got my butt up a little earlier this morning. LOL!

MK

I hope to start cutting next week so I'll post the offcuts in the classified section and see what happens. Unless I resaw them myself, the offcuts should run about $12.50 to $15.00 each plus shipping.

MK

Dangit! I'm looking out my window and I have frigging Bees again. I just got rid of a hive in the walls at the beginning of summer.

CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Throw some mahogany outside and tell the bees to make some cool figure in it. Heck if they're gonna hang around, you might as well put them to work. Never know maybe you'll get some honey comb figure mahogany.

The look of that ambrosia maple is very nice, I've seen it numerous times, but that stuff looks extra nice for whatever reason. Very nice creamy maple with very crisp discolored sections, it's like the contrast is greater than stuff I've seen before. I dunno, for some reason it looks really nice, maybe I just haven't seen any in a bit. Cool stuff Mike.

If your offcuts are reasonable in size for acoustics(sides-say 5" x 32-34", backs 8-9" x 21-22"), you might be able to find people who are interested. I have some sets I cut for myself, and know that it is a wood that some acoustic builders like.

Peace,Rich

I have some friends that build dobros and they use it as well for sides and backs, also for square necks. That's why I was asking about Guitar tops? I've never seen it used. I'm sure I can get some oofcuts that will fill the bill and be VERY reasonable on cost. In fact I think that my figures for offcuts may be able to include shipping to most in the lower 48. depending on how much they want and it weighs. LOL :D

I beleive I have many that are at least 7.5 inches and some up to 9 inches. also alot in the 4 to 6 inch range for sides. I'll seee how the offcuts work out then go from there. I can order more? they have approx 600bdft of this left and I can get it by next Thursday. if someone is really interested please PM me with specs and I might place an order for specifics which I think they will do? I will be looking for the most highly figured as well and some may be the amber color basewood. This project called for the blondewood maple variety.

MIke

Throw some mahogany outside and tell the bees to make some cool figure in it. Heck if they're gonna hang around, you might as well put them to work. Never know maybe you'll get some honey comb figure mahogany.

The look of that ambrosia maple is very nice, I've seen it numerous times, but that stuff looks extra nice for whatever reason. Very nice creamy maple with very crisp discolored sections, it's like the contrast is greater than stuff I've seen before. I dunno, for some reason it looks really nice, maybe I just haven't seen any in a bit. Cool stuff Mike.

The pics don't do it justice as the ambrosia stains have a nice liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight blue to gray color with some orangey to brown. Just remember it DOES have bug holes that must be filled. That's what caused the staining. LOL :D

MK

If your offcuts are reasonable in size for acoustics(sides-say 5" x 32-34", backs 8-9" x 21-22"), you might be able to find people who are interested. I have some sets I cut for myself, and know that it is a wood that some acoustic builders like.

Peace,Rich

I have some friends that build dobros and they use it as well for sides and backs, also for square necks. That's why I was asking about Guitar tops? I've never seen it used. I'm sure I can get some oofcuts that will fill the bill and be VERY reasonable on cost. In fact I think that my figures for offcuts may be able to include shipping to most in the lower 48. depending on how much they want and it weighs. LOL :D

I beleive I have many that are at least 7.5 inches and some up to 9 inches. also alot in the 4 to 6 inch range for sides. I'll seee how the offcuts work out then go from there. I can order more? they have approx 600bdft of this left and I can get it by next Thursday. if someone is really interested please PM me with specs and I might place an order for specifics which I think they will do? I will be looking for the most highly figured as well and some may be the amber color basewood. This project called for the blondewood maple variety.

MIke

Yep, I bought some very wide boards some time ago. Never honestly used any of it, but I have sliced it for a few tops, and back and side sets. May very well never even use it, but I figure I have it if I get a bug to use it. Kinda cool looking stuff.

Peace,Rich

I'm in the process of making a Tele with ambrosia maple as the top. There is a thread several pages back in the in progress section. I have to get updated pictures tonight and update the thread. Once you have some offcuts, PM me and let me know what you have and how much for them. I will definitely be interested in some.