Mixing Tonewoods

G-Axe

Hey folks, I've recently got the bug - feeling the need to build a guitar and in my travels through the internets, I've landed here. So bear with me with a couple of newbie questions.

First up, tonewoods - I'm trying to get a mixture of characteristics for my first project, and I'm wondering what the best way to composite tonewoods would be, or if its something that's frowned upon altogether. I realise it's going going to be a trade-off and that using half as much of one type of tonewood will diminish the characteristics by at least half, but are there any tricks to the trade?

For instance, if I wanted the rich low end of mahogany, but with the brighter high/mid range of Alder, would "bookending" two mismatched timbers result in a balanced mix of the two, or would it be asking for trouble?

What about a laminate approach, turning the body into a licorice allsort of varying timbers?

Anyone ever tried a neck through with a different timber either side of the neck?

Or would I be better off using other design features to alter tonal characteristics? For instance, I've heard resonating chambers can boost the low end a bit.

And lastly, anyone had much experience with Aussie tonewoods?

First up, tonewoods - I'm trying to get a mixture of characteristics for my first project, and I'm wondering what the best way to composite tonewoods would be, or if its something that's frowned upon altogether. I realise it's going going to be a trade-off and that using half as much of one type of tonewood will diminish the characteristics by at least half, but are there any tricks to the trade?

For instance, if I wanted the rich low end of mahogany, but with the brighter high/mid range of Alder, would "bookending" two mismatched timbers result in a balanced mix of the two, or would it be asking for trouble?

You could find a timber that is a mix of the two, not sure what though?

I have got some Queensland Maple and Victorian ash that i have yet to use, Apparently QLD Maple sounds similar to mahogany, VIC ash is supposedly similar to the real stuff. People like Oz Tradie and Deano have utilized Aussie timbers recently so they may be the people to speak to, otherwise check out the musical instruments section at the woodwork forums

Edited by RGman

Here's some reading material for you.

Ian Noyce guitars

He shares some interesting info here

I've used quite a few aussie timbers in builds and a heap more in progress

but not enough to formulate my opinions and give that knowledge back to you as fact.

Theories maybe, but that doesn't help all that much other than cloud the issues.

You could also speak to these luthiers and get the good oil from them. They're happy to help.

Gerard Gilet

Kim Hancock

And we can't forget Maton, Cole Clark etc....................

cheers, Stu :D

In my limited experience (2 finished projects), I've ended up with "tone" which I didn't expect. However, it was a pleasant surprise.

Respectfully, I suggest that you go with a traditional combo of woods rather than trying to mix and match in search of a "certain sound".

"Tone" is a combination of so many factors--every single component from the strings down to the speaker cab.

well you coulkd always go for a drop top, a les paul has a mixed tone of maple (the cap on the body) and mahogany (the rest of the body) it also has a mahogany neck which changes things a bit compared to the standard maple neck.

as for australian timbers, there are quite a few woods that have been used successfully

silky oak is another one that wasnt mentioned above, but there are plenty of others. i have some qld walnut that ill ues for a build in the near future, havent done much with australian timbers yet.

Hey folks, I've recently got the bug - feeling the need to build a guitar and in my travels through the internets, I've landed here. So bear with me with a couple of newbie questions.

What about a laminate approach, turning the body into a licorice allsort of varying timbers?

Anyone ever tried a neck through with a different timber either side of the neck?

Or would I be better off using other design features to alter tonal characteristics? For instance, I've heard resonating chambers can boost the low end a bit.

I am crawling back to being silent on this subject :D . However, on the subject of using two different species on opposite sides of the neck. That sounds like a recipe for neck problems, and I would avoid that.

Peace,Rich

• 3 weeks later...

Just to kind of jump on G-Axe's bandwagon, what wood or mix of woods will give the warmest, roundest sounds without sounding overly muddy? Would it be all-Mahogany, all-Limba, all-Koa, some warm base/back wood with a more articulate wood for the top or neck?

Similarly, is it normal to use mix tonewoods for any complexity in sound, or is more just a matter of using a primary tonewood for the sound you want (i.e. Mahogany, Alder, Limba, etc.) and a second kind of wood that will look pretty but still sound nice enough to not mess with the tone you are trying to get from the base/back wood (i.e. flamed Maple, Birdseye Maple, Koa, figured Walnut, etc.)?

-Cheers

Edited by Dave I