Guitar Of The Month For October

Guitar of the month for October  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, sorry to say I had to do it also, obviously considering he has all the votes so far. I dunno, for some reason I had the urge to buy some board shorts, as that top just made me want to jump in and go swimming. Just amazing how the look of that guitar is so attractive. It's hard to take your eyes of that top, but once you do you find even more, like Daniel I'm a Limba Lover, especially black limba and that body is just primo blimba.

I gotta say though, it was another crazy month. I can't tell if PG has a bunch more talented builders or if everyone finished around the same time. The last two months have had so many more than I remember any month having, makes it better I think. Seriously, every single guitar this month had something I just loved, but Marcovis' guitar just had everything I loved. Superb work guys and keep cranking out the string sticks as they are always inspirational. J

another great month

jehle - for the first time i am starting to see these as more than 'novelty' instruments, great stuff - i very nearly voted for it!!

mickguard - i am actually quite a big fan of these dano longhorn style guitars and i really like what you are doing with the design, for me though the angular scratchplate detracts from the curvy shape

jukkasil - a great concept thats been very well executed, cant really critique it because it is exactly what it is.. oh, here is one - it would look great with some distressed nickel hardware to complete the look

Guitart - I love the fretboard inlay and the carving looks a lot better than i first thought it would. the craftsmanship on the pickup rings is excellent but they look a little oversized compared to the body shape to me. I like them from the side view but am just not sure when i look at it head on

scott from actual time - extremely neat construction but possibly a little plain for GOTM

Stratomaster - i like the funky retro look but the scratchplate doesnt quite suit the shape to my eyes - it does add to the funky retro look i like though!!

hydrogeoman - jaguars are one of my favorite guitars and i really would have loved this with a nice candy finish, not so sure about the natural body wood. Construction looks excellent and the smaller body is a great idea

low end fuzz - great bazz with great woods, for me the neck laminates dont quite look right with the neck taper and i am not sure about the bookmatched fretboard

killemall8 - it looks very good but we need clearer photo's for GOTM so we can tell what its really like, your pics and guitars seem to be getting better quite fast but i still dont think the pics are good enough to go on the main page

daniel - very nice guitar, the shape wont suit all but i really like this thing

Marcovis - as much as i tend to resist the best looking bits of quilted maple in this competition this one has grabbed me - the whole thing is excellent and i had to vote for it.

Hooglebug - Excellent guitar, for me though the colour isnt too appealing - love the inlay though

Well, I can't vote for myself, but I'm not going to vote against me either, so I just null voted. :D

But if I WERE to vote, it'd be for Hooglebug's guitar. I like it that he kept the figure of the wood relatively understated, the carving too. Gives the guitar a nicely balanced look. Nice modern design too. And the execution is flawless.

'Cause I've said it before, I keep getting the feeling people are voting for the wood, not for the guitar itself...the LP is nice, sure, but take away the quilt and it's just another LP...well, granted, I'm not a big fan of quilted maple, just the way it goes, I guess.

It's too bad Albertop didn't enter his new LP Jr. That's the way to do it!

Anyway, special mention definitely goes to the Shovelbass. And I think the Jaguar came out really well too.

I couldn't go past the working man bass. It showed creativity in addition to technical skill. Same can be said for Hooglebug's Sakura Svelte - his shapes and use of carving are inspired and inspiring.

I'm just lucky that I didn't have a finished guitar this month....although it looks like there's not going to be an "easy" month in the near future.

Brian.

'Cause I've said it before, I keep getting the feeling people are voting for the wood, not for the guitar itself...the LP is nice, sure, but take away the quilt and it's just another LP...well, granted, I'm not a big fan of quilted maple, just the way it goes, I guess.

I am not a big quilted fan either but try not to reduce marcovis's guitar to just a pretty piece of wood. I voted for him because of what he had done with that wood, i certainly didnt vote for it just because he is lucky to have/afford such pieces of wood and i wouldnt have voted for it if the rest of the construction wasnt top notch.

it may just be another LP - but it happens to be one of the visually finest i have ever seen iand i just couldt ignre that this time

I also had to go with the LP copy. I love blue quilt, I love limba and I love flamed maple. I would scrap the rings though. For some reason they pull the eye away from the top. I'm not a big fan of wooden rings to begin with though.

I also loved the bass too. Totally awesome idea and would be a killer bass for Les Claypool

All in all it was a great month again!!!!!!

jukkasil - great job, I voted for you. No offense to anyone else on here, but it's the only one to me that stood out, and wasn't a flame maple something or another with a Floyd Rose and emg's and some shiney polished stain if you know what I'm saying, it just has character. :D

I don't know why are you even posting this? What's your point? Because I really don't get it. You are just diminishing all the work that comes into making a guitar. I will vote for any guitar with a figured top that has been done right, before voting for the same guitar with a solid color paint. You need to put into perspective everything the aspects that are included on the guitar. And carving a piece of quilted maple and staining it to perfection is not as easy as it seems.

Don't you remember the few times that BigD posted his quilted teles that got thorn apart because of the blotchiness of the stain?

Your comment really disappointed me as a hobby luthier. :D

You know the only thing that I didn't like about that LP, that the back was not bookmatched, other than that I found no flaws on it. There were 3 other guitars that were very close to this one, and only one of those had figured wood.

It's all on the craftmanship. we have had a few first timers here that their work looks better than guitars that you can find at a GC.

Please don't take away from another members guitar just because you "are not a big fan of quilted maple"...

Please don't take away from another members guitar just because you "are not a big fan of quilted maple"...

No, that's not it. And I'm not taking anything away from the build, it looks like a fine enough guitar, at least judging from the fuzzy underlit photos... :D And I recognize that the choice of wood one makes is a part of the build.

I'm not reacting to the guitar, merely the seeming orgasm certain posters tend to have over the figure of the wood (and I don't know about you, but I tend to close my eyes when I've reached the point of no return...) And I definitely feel there are more interesting--creative, challenging, unique--builds this month. Just my opinion.

And especially I like it when people post more detailed photos. To be honest, I don't feel it's possible for anyone to make a true judgment on the quality of the build on that LP, based on those photos. Certainly not in comparison with some of the other builds.

Anyway, obviously everyone has the right to vote for their own reasons. I feel it's a subject worthy of discussion, that's why I bring it up. It's not to come down on Marcovis, or anyone else for that matter. I mean, it's only the GOTM, if we can't discuss this, what's the point?

Me, I'm happy with my canoe paddle. :D

Hmm, the photos seemed plenty bright and crisp to me. Regardless of what flavor wood was used, if you can put that nice of carve, stain and finish on a guitar, you get bonus points. There are some excellent builds this month and many unique and creatives ones as well, but I think that even goes to show how impressive the execution was on the LP, how many LPs have you seen in your life? How many with maple tops? The fact that the execution on that guitar was so well done that it stands apart from the millions of other LPs out there is enough to get it votes.

By all means, I feel people should say what they feel, but the way you said what you did in your initial post not only sounded like put down on the LP, but it also sounded like an insult to everyone who had voted for it. Your post literally translated to: everyone who voted for that just voted for quilted maple and none of you had the intelligence to look beyond a type of wood. I know thats not what you meant, but thats exactly what it sounded like. Honestly, I couldn't give a damn if that was a pine top, the point in fact is that it looks damn good, regardless of what wood it is and the execution on the guitar is near flawless. I, nor anyone I know here would vote for a guitar based on the type of wood used for the build. Anyhow probably half the guitars up there have all types of figure wood including a number of figured maple tops, so why the mass of votes for a certain one? Quality of execution. J

Edited by jmrentis

I have to agree with jmrentis on both points--

1. the pictures are fine

2. it sounded like an insult to people who voted for it, and the builder

I specifically stated that I do NOT in fact like figured wood, but that it won my vote. Why? The execution was excellent. The execution of other guitars was excellent, too. I'm not going to itemize why I did NOT vote for all the guitars that I did not vote for. :D It's not the sort of thing that requires justification... all that matters is a vote and a wee bit of chatter. Criticism is for build threads, IMO.

Greg

No, that's not it. And I'm not taking anything away from the build, it looks like a fine enough guitar, at least judging from the fuzzy underlit photos... :D And I recognize that the choice of wood one makes is a part of the build.

I'm not reacting to the guitar, merely the seeming orgasm certain posters tend to have over the figure of the wood (and I don't know about you, but I tend to close my eyes when I've reached the point of no return...) And I definitely feel there are more interesting--creative, challenging, unique--builds this month. Just my opinion.

Thanks to all that have voted this month. I guess I'll defend myself a little bit here. First, the photo's are not fuzzy or under lit and if you actually looked past the quilted maple top on this guitar, you might see that the build isn't just your basic LP copy by any means. The neck joint, hidden 3 way cavity, 7/8" top with a deep carve. These three things alone took planning and a lot of work to accomplish. Have you ever hand carved quilted maple like this with a gouge? It's not very easy and tends to chunk and tear since the grain runs all over the place. I really don't care if you like it or not, but your comments about the guitar are simply not true.