Pole Pieces Problem

Nicko_Lps

In my project i have 2 humbuckers seymour duncan and a single coil for middle so its a H-S-H setup.

The nut wight is 41.2mm (floyd rose R2) and the bridge is floyd rose pro.

The polepieces are of both hubuckers are centered good under the strings,but the single coil Classic stack plus from seymour d. is a lot wider and its not centered properly under the strings.

I know that polepieces must be directly below the strings,if not the magnetic field will stop the string faster.

I dont know how true is that,but i just can stand see the polepieces not matched.

Does anyone have an idea of what pickup i can buy and match?

Thanks,

In my project i have 2 humbuckers seymour duncan and a single coil for middle so its a H-S-H setup.

The polepieces are of both hubuckers are centered good under the strings,but the single coil Classic stack plus from seymour d. is a lot wider and its not centered properly under the strings.

I know that polepieces must be directly below the strings,if not the magnetic field will stop the string faster.

I dont know how true is that,but i just can stand see the polepieces not matched.

Thanks,

"I know that polepieces must be directly below the strings,if not the magnetic field will stop the string faster."

That is certainly not true. I would use that pickup as long as it sounds OK.

Thanks,

"I know that polepieces must be directly below the strings,if not the magnetic field will stop the string faster."

That is certainly not true. I would use that pickup as long as it sounds OK.

Sorry i was a bit wrong up there,what i was trying to say is that the magnetic field helps the string to keep vibrate and if the polepieces are not directly under the string,that effect does not happen.

Im still not sure,but im not negative,and i think that i must find the propper one IF exists for the current bridge and nut setup.

Thanks though,

Start looking at some Google images out there. :D

People very much misunderstand and overestimate the importance of polepiece alignment. Wasn't there another thread that just got bumped yesterday?

Greg

"what i was trying to say is that the magnetic field helps the string to keep vibrate and if the polepieces are not directly under the string,that effect does not happen."

The magnetic field does nto help the string to vibvrate. It can hinder it if it is too strong, but with the correct strength it is not an issue.

As long as any sound at all is produced the strings vibrations are hindered... The electricity is induced when the string passes through the magnetic field, if the magnetic field wouldn't break the strings vibration no electricity would be induced at all.

"what i was trying to say is that the magnetic field helps the string to keep vibrate and if the polepieces are not directly under the string,that effect does not happen."

The magnetic field does nto help the string to vibvrate. It can hinder it if it is too strong, but with the correct strength it is not an issue.

As long as any sound at all is produced the strings vibrations are hindered... The electricity is induced when the string passes through the magnetic field, if the magnetic field wouldn't break the strings vibration no electricity would be induced at all.

It is true that some energy must be taken from the string to the electrical circuit. But it is very small and it does not affect the sustain a significant amount. Does the sustain get a lot greater when you take the pickups out of a guitar?

Here is another thing you can try: Connect the guitar into a short circuit. (Wire across the contacts of a jack) Now check the sustain (with volume all the way up). If the pickups could extract much energy from the string, you should really notice it into a short because the amount of current in the coil is limited only by the pickup impedance, not also by the high load impedance of the amp and pots.

Consider this also. Some people wire the volume controls on an LP backwards. That is, the slider goes to the pickup. Suppose you turned the pot for the neck pickup to zero and just used the bridge pickup. Since the neck pickup is shorted, it would take a lot of energy from the strings if it could and kill the sustain. Doesn't happen.

If the permanent magnetic field is too strong the string vibration is affected (string pull, or stratitis). But this has nothing to do with generating electricity. The problem is that the magnet affects the vibration frequency in the vertical mode, but not the horizontal. The two modes try to mix together, and the vibration is disturbed. With really strong magnets, you can hear the beat between the two frequencies.