IDEA!

Guest AlexVDL

I'm looking for over 10 years to find an original 80's Gibson les paul standard or custom with floyd rose. I know the LP custom light had a version with a floyd rose... IMO it's the most perfect combination.. the looks of an old classic guitar but with the versatility of a modern guitar... Satch divebombs on a les paul YEAH!!!

:D

I'm looking for over 10 years to find an original 80's Gibson les paul standard or custom with floyd rose. I know the LP custom light had a version with a floyd rose... IMO it's the most perfect combination.. the looks of an old classic guitar but with the versatility of a modern guitar... Satch divebombs on a les paul YEAH!!!

:D

oh come on alex.....build one.

it would be a better guitar B)

I'm gonna do that, definatly. An epiphone special II (those cheap 170 ones) switch all the hardwrae, and pickups, and cover the entire front with disco-ball mirrors, like that one guy did, the one on the website of the month... I can do two projects in one.

I only chose the special II because it's the only non-archtoped LP out there, and that would probably make the floyd work easier, and the mirrors could only go on a 100% flat-top guitar.

I heard from my repairshop friends that this was popular back in the 80's and 90's. My friends were guitar-purists and thought it was sacreligious to put a floyd on a Les Paul. I guess the reason was because it was just before the Slash-is-popular era and these guys were bringing in 50's and 60's Gibson Les Paul's and wanting them to tear out this 30-40 year old mahagony wood from the guitar. I heard they refused their service. I would have too.

IMO I think you shouldn't rout a Gibson/Epiphone to put a Floyd on it. The scale is shorter (24.75") than most guitars w/ Floyds and it would make your divebombs really short sounding. I suggest making it a 25.5" scale if you want the floyd. That way the strings will hold the notes for longer. Warmoth will build you an archtop or flattop version at this scale and rout it for the floyd. Those of you who can do archtops, I say go for it, but IMO you'll be wasting the effort with a 24.75" scale.

Guest AlexVDL
... but IMO you'll be wasting the effort with a 24.75" scale.

Another thing to note is that gibson string spacing is narrower than floyds at the bridge... the 1st/6th strings'll feel like their slipping of the edge of the fretboard. I agree, it's just not right :D.

Nope, the modern Gibsons have f-spaced pickups at the bridge and a wider bridge. Plus a standard Gibson neck is much wider then for instance a fender neck. Almost all 50's and 60's reissue fender strats have 1mm fretboard space next to the low and high E strings... as for a Gibson, they have standard 2 or more mm.

I agree, it's dumb to cut out a piece of nice old wood from a vintage Gibson Les Paul. But still, you can complain about the sound getting worse, it will sound better than any normal floyd style guitar for sure. Because it still will have a set neck and a mahogany body with a thick maple cap. The real "les paul sound" will be less, but still it will rock!

Canuck, the epi goths have floyds... well there is a range goths with and without floyd rose trems.

Goth-Les-Paul-large.jpg

Goth-Les-Paul-small.jpg

others