Gold Headstock Logos

riffster

The sign shops have a material called Sign Gold that is cut on a plotter. This suff is very thin gold leaf material with a adhesive backing and comes in engine turned, plain and and few other finishes. This would be the quickest way.

You could also buy a gold leaf kit at the craft store and do it yourself. Practice first

you can use clear decal printer paper - i havnt done it but i think you need to print the logos as a mirror image with just a black outline, then use a gold pen to colour it in on the back and when its applied it should give you a neat gold logo with a sharp black outline

Good ideas here guys! I tried seveal different ways and used a combination of both mentioned here and got great results. Cut your name / logo on a vinyl plotter with spray mask film, lay on headstock and color in with a gold (or any color) paint pen. The tests I did on maple looked really nice, and it looked like it would cover darker woods like rosewood and ebony with no problem. It dries flat with virtually no edge to deal with. Building guitars and running a sign shop definitly has its advantages. -Vinny

I have a question about using brass. Will I have to worry about corrosion? And will a lacquer do anything wierd to it?

Once it's lacquer you should never have a discoloration problem. Air turns brass green. No air, no problem. Ever if you use it on a fretboard, exposed to air, a little 0000 steal wool brings it right back to shiny and that would be after 3 or 4 years. I use it all the time. Looks great.

I wondered whether anyone had tried designing a headstock logo and using a photocopy machine to copy and print it out on those clear OHP transparency sheets. If you did it on computer you could copy and paste a whole page full of logos and cut them out with scissors. Im not sure how epoxy or lacquer would affect the surface though.

I may just experiment with that and see what happens.

Edited by Acousticraft

You can buy a foil material from the craft store that is a gold foil and is used over a laser printed image to make the black text gold or whatever color you buy. First you print the image with a laser printer and then you cover the image with this foil and run it through the laser printer again or a laminator to fuse the foil to the toner. This could be done with clear water slide paper for laser printers also.